Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerShellMan

Leaking Exhaust and CDI performance in 2006

6 posts in this topic

So now that I have my 2nd Smart (2006 Pure) I discovered something interesting about my 2006 Passion

The Pure is WAY question (the Passion sounds like a Honda with Fart Muffler on)

the Pure (with the same drivetrain and higher KM) performs MUCH better on Acceleration.   

The Passion will do up to 120km on the Highway but the Pure has MUCH less difficulty doing it.

Any thoughts?  Both engines are under 150,000km (in fact the Passion's is just over 100,000km) on the cause?   Does the CDI Need the Backpressure from the Muffler or am looking at Injectors, Turbo, something else?

Look at the EGR and inter cooler rad at the front right hand corner for rubbed through tubes, a common issue. Then yes injector sonic cleaning and new nozzles make a difference. I repair the stock mufflers by welding them up along the split on the bottom. I also remove the CAT on some, that is your choice but I prefer them out....Hmmmm...? lol  There are many little things to check to make your Smart run well. But look at the EGR and inter cooler rad and it's hoses.

1 person likes this

Too many possibilities.  Look where Willys suggested, also use a big pair of channel locks on the flat sides of the wastegate and rotate it back and forth a few times to make sure it isn’t hanging open a little bit.  Check the hose that goes from the top of the egr to the intake as they sometimes get rubbed through and you can lose boost there.  When my high pressure fuel pump was getting weak the engine felt like it had more power at 3/4 throttle than full throttle.  Do you know the full history on the quicker car, it may have been remapped.

You also need to get someone in the other car that weighs about the same as you and go for a drag race up to the legal limit of course and see if there really is a difference.   

Nigel

Crap....Nigel is street racing now.....excellent.....where and when....lol.
I have two cars and the beater which was beaten most of it's life from what I can tell runs better than my good car, maybe it's almost worn out and everything moves much easier?  Less friction equals faster....lol.  Both of my cars have close to 190K on them....as said far too many posiblities to check over before nailing it down.

Hmmm if @Nigel gets a ticket racing a Diesel CDI should he frame it? :)

"I got busted speeding in a lawnmower!"

use scan tool to read live data ...manifold pressure will tell you if the turbos are putting out roughly the same...

it may lead to finding leaks too...

also drive with the lid off and you might hear some differences in turbo