Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerShellMan

Success in resetting ABS (Air bag sensor) without going to MB

11 posts in this topic

It turns out my ODB tools can reset all the sensors in my Smart.  I had a very temporary High Impedance with the Air Bag sensors and it cleared up but of course the ABS light is on.

The particular tool I have is an Autel Diaglink.   It was about $130 on Amazon and it does do all cars but you have to pay I think $10 per car and you get one free.   So in my case I bought it for a B200 which is Mercedes and I ended up activating it for Mercedes (which covered Smart as well) codes.

On both my recently purchased Pure (2006) and the Passion (2006) they both had the ABS sensor tripped.    This one was able to reset them both without me running to Mercedes.

Just two cents if it helps anybody out.  You still need to find out "why" the sensor was tripped but if you pulled it or something stupid bumped the wire, this at least will save you a trip to the Dealership.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The common cause for an abs light on the smart is a cracked reluctor ring in the rear.  They can be sourced from the UK for less than $30 a pair. Lots of discussions here just do a search.

Edited by Nigel

Posted (edited) · Report post

abs is anti lock brakes

air bag system is srs (supplemental restraint)

Nigel is right most abs lights are from cracked ring

most srs lights will be caused by bad connections under seat airbag plug or from turning on the key with seats removed

Edited by LooseLugNuts

@LooseLugNuts

Sorry, in my case it was the SRS.   Wrong words (the AB comes from the three letters staring me in the face from the Passenger side ;)

Meaning... "the SRS light was lit but silly Sean transposed it to ABS pointing to the Air Bag in front of him and forgetting there was another system called ABS"

Now if this was a Dell server or downed Database I'd be speaking with greater authority.  

the car is still "Blinking light and squeaky noise from over 'there'" ;)

check the codes...they will tell if its drivers seat or passenger seat

the usual fix is to cut out the connector and just solder them together then heatshrink it

@looselugsnuts In my case it was "I had a crapload of stuff shoved in the car" and bumped a wire. 

Very certain of it.  I have checked all connections.   It could very well have been some "mystery wires" from the battery or the fact the car was running on a VERY bad battery and super drained daily for the first first two weeks. 

It's a computer and when computers don't have the right level of Power and Current they go stupid.  I have a brand new OE battery from Canadian Tire and no leaks found in the electrical.  All is running well now (electrically).

Now I'm just trying to figure out why my Passion does not accel as well as my Pure (same year and the Pure has more Km on it)

Is it worth running some Diesel Injector cleaner through it?

my cabrio had way more pep than my lower mileage coupe of the same year

i never figured out why ......but i probably should have cleaned or changed the injector nozzles and maybe a fuel filter (im a real cheapskate when it comes to maintenance on my own things)

i used lots of kleenflo condition/cleaner on the coupe ...it never seemed to help but i always figured it helped a bit 

Willys swears by the Kleen-Flo but I’ve never been a fan of the mechanic in a can.  Won’t hurt if you follow the instructions though.  

Willys winter beater feels way quicker than my car but in a drag race I’m not sure his it really is.

Nigel

the cabrio i owned for a short time was purchased off a buddy and i did all repairs while he owned it....i think that was the only time i knew for sure the kleenflo was doing something....he was complaining about the fuel level gauge constantly sticking ...i figured it had some of that diesel mold going on....after a few kleenflo treated tanks the problem completely dissapeared

I also do not believe in these snake oil mechanic in a can, but this KleenFlo did make a difference in the way it worked and so I kept using it in every other or so tank during the winter months. I sort of forgot after a while and haven't used it much at all this summer season. I am about to try another magic potion in my wife's CRV because of surging or shuddering it is getting at a specific speed. The guys on the Honda site swear by this also and also do not generally believe in the snake oils. I will see when it gets here. 
I do think the beater is faster and nippier than both our good cars, as I said I don't know why, it just feels like it is...?   You up for some street rac'in action.....lol  Maybe your car need some beat'in to get her to drive right...?....lol.   Normally I drive it like an old lady as you know to get the mileage numbers.   Plus I think I'll wait until I get the good car back on it's wheels before trying to kill the beater.....my luck it would drop dead just out of spite....lol.   Also remember it has new nozzles and cleaned injectors......?  And no A/C belt.   And now the big difference, who's fatter me or you?.....lol