Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

The Clever-End....?

15 posts in this topic

OK, boys and Girls..........what does one think about said attachment for the 450...?

https://www.berlin-tuning.com/de/smart-for-two-typ-450/transport/clever-end-smart-450#lg=1&slide=2

I'm not sure how much extra space this gives you...it's deceiving imho.....

I have thoughts, is it a good  thing to add how many inches..it doesn't say?  Yes I know, what she said...lol.

I have a plan for one if I were to get the option.....would it give me enough room to take passenger seat out and give me 6 feet of flat surface?  Hmmm...?  I need to know....

@Willys ........ The photos posted in the members' ad show one view with the back opened.  Take a peek.  It may be just what you need .... or not. LOL

Well, I guess we're going to find out.....Hmmmm...?

Congrats to Willys on his acquisition of another smart.  How do you intend to pick it up?  Trailer or drive it?  He did say it runs.

Thanks so far, it looks like a very clean car with a single owner from new. I'll decide when I see it how best to get her home. But he says it will easily drive if I want to. All work done by dealership.  Most exciting thing...it comes with a Smart Car cover....I have also seen the build sheet and it looks very good.
Soon there will be a very long drive in store...lol

Oh....and no the wife's not impressed....lol.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Oh....and no the wife's not impressed....lol.

I hear THAT. :lol:

looks like very decent shape for that price

the kms are high but maybe lots of it was highway time 

i think you should tow it home...with another smart :D

We have just over an acre here so I can hide a few Smart Cars in the trees if it comes down to it...lol.  My issue now is, I need to make some serious space in my garage for this winter's project.....I want to keep the body of my good car and possibly transfer all the goodies into it and also all body panels etc etc. Yes I know, it would possibly be quicker to swap all the mechanic into this new car....but......every moving part is brand new in my good car....everything! It's just the faded Steam Green colour that is upsetting me. I can try blue for a while...lol. You never know it may just become a complete parts car?
The owner says the rear end just bolts on, so it can just as easy unbolt!
Maybe I will have a rolling chassis to play with after this is finished?  Hmmmm....? OR a car shaped trailer?

36 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

looks like very decent shape for that price

the kms are high but maybe lots of it was highway time 

i think you should tow it home...with another smart :D

I was thinking a tow dolly to put the smart onto backwards that is and lock the steering straight, disconnect the battery so the computer doesn't take a fit, if it would..?  BUT, I do not know if a Smart Car will fit on a standard car dolly yet?  I'm not 100% sure about towing a large trailer with the smart on it behind the wife's CRV.....it might be too heavy?   Tomorrow I think I'm going to the local U-Haul rental and do some serious measuring. I'll drag it up there and see whats what and if I think it needs to be towed just stick it on right away? OR drive it and have the tow dolly as a back up system just in case? The issue with the tow dolly is....will the loading ramp section hit the bottom of the Smart belly pan? Because of it being such a short wheel base? Then comes the wheel wide of the Smart......is it even wide enough to use a dolly...?...lol       Anyone know this semi important information?   I'd be very grateful for the answers.

Thanks.

The CRV should have no issues towing the smart on a dolly.  I used a much older Honda to tow a bare-bones smart frame from London to Napanee on a trailer. . Ok, the frame only will be lighter than a complete car, but I was using a 30 year old Honda with much lower HP that a newer CRV.  The CRV is also taller than the smart, so it should break the wind better than the set-up I had. . My Civic was relatively close to the ground and the frame was on a fairly tall trailer. . If you opt to tow, it should be no problem.

Honda Civic with Trailer.jpg

i towed mine backwards on a dolly

it was sketchy but it was only about 1km away lol...

my dolly is lower than the uhaul ones (its a master tow)

i think it would go just fine behind the crv.....if i rememeber right the smart is only about1800lbs......the lower the trailer the better

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Brought mine home on a single wide snowmobile trailer.

Had to put a cple pcs of 2x6 under the back tires as they were about 4" wider than the bed and the edge sticks up a cple inches with a 1/8" thick wall

SAM_0630a.jpg

2 people like this