Specter

Replacing spent Airbags

13 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Would anyone know if when replacing spent (deployed) air bags if there is a need to reprogram the module or just install them with the battery disconnected and stand clear when reconnecting to the battery.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:52 AM, LooseLugNuts said:

install

clear srs trouble codes 

drive

Whats srs codes professor? I missed that class! your too fast for me to follow

Supplemental Restraint System codes.

Can be read and erased by most code readers.

59 minutes ago, Specter said:

Whats srs codes professor? I missed that class! your too fast for me to follow

I have a OBDII scanner will that work? It didn't register Airbag problem for me to clear.

Does anyone know if the Airbag sensor, when activate, remains in that active position or does it reset itself?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Specter said:

I have a OBDII scanner will that work? It didn't register Airbag problem for me to clear.

what model?

does it have srs capability for smart or does it just check for pcm codes?

srs is a completely separate independent  system from pcm...

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I have a LAUNCH Creader V which has been very good for clearing all the codes that have come up in the past. Mostly all emission stuff.

Creader_v_fr_view_800w.jpg

that is for engine codes

youll need one that can access the srs system

Go over to Evilution and ask Kane the owner of the site. I just typed all this out on the handbrake question, go there and take a peek.lol

I too need to turn off the idiot light on the cluster because this idiot is tired of seeing it now....lol.  I have soldered the wiring so it should have reset or should be ready to be reset.....been too busy to deal with it. A complete brake job on my brother's Ford Edge Sport 2014 which should have been a maybe 2 hour job took all day. Some asshat decided after someone tried to steal his rims to use a 3 foot long cheater bar to tighten his lugnuts and when I went to undo them the security key for the anti theft lugnuts stripped itself...!!!!!    FFS....NEVER in all my years working on cars etc have I see one simple strip as if made of putty!!!!   I had to scronge up 4 massive nuts and weld each one to the security lugnut and then gently remove all lug nuts, thinking the whole time they were going to snap the studs!  Then one caliper siezed on basically....and I didn't know how to push or as it turned out unscrew the caliper piston on the rear's.....so new calipers went on, screw it...lol. At least he has all new brakes now and should last him a year or so.

Now back to the smart cars...lol.

But someone down the street is selling a Ford Garden tractor with a rototiller attachment on the rear......and it looks in good shape......asking $800.......but I already have 3 tractors......but not one with a tiller....lol.     AUGH....!

19 hours ago, Willys said:

I have soldered the wiring so it should have reset or should be ready to be reset

it wont reset by itself...srs codes on smart 450 need to be manually reset with star or srs capable scantool

19 hours ago, Willys said:

and I didn't know how to push or as it turned out unscrew the caliper piston on the rear's

common mistake ...they sell all kinds of tools for winding in piston but it can usually be done by hand with pressure using simple needle nose pliers....the second problem most people have is that they dont realize there is usually pins on the back of the pads with that type of piston and the caliper piston MUST be lined up to accept that pin