Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

GPS lithium batteries....what do you know?

3 posts in this topic

OK, guys, I have another question. I don't know how to read or understand what these two different spec'd batteries mean and if I can use the larger spec'd battery in the lesser's unit. The reasoning is, if the larger numbers in the specs are strictly for storage capability or back up useable power as in life span and the voltages are identical, why can't i use the larger in the lesser unit space. I can make it fit as the greater spec'd battery is slightly larger. I can easily remove the locating pins to allow it to fit.

Here are the battery numbers and their specs.

361-00056-21   rating   3.7V, 820 mAh, 3.03 Wh

361-00035-03  rating 3.7V. 1100 mAh, 4.1 Wh

The question is....is the mAh and the Wh  the storage capability of the batteries or life span before charging capability of these batteries?  As the power or voltage is the same at 3.7V  So it makes sense that if the larger capable battery can be used in the lesser battery unit it would last longer without being pulled in, correct?   OR am I seeing this completely wrong? Will the extra power fry the unit? 

Both GPS's have been sitting in the sun getting baked and they are years old now so both require new batteries, So I am in the market for two batteries and thought if I can get more life out of one by installing a bigger battery is it OK...?

One for you electronically inclined wizards...thanks.....either way I'm buying two batteries. asap.

I tried calling the company but it seems they don't answer their phones at 10 am in the morning...lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think you have it right the difference is how long they will run the unit when unplugged.  Probably no difference in longevity.  Now do you ever use the unit unplugged more than a couple of minutes at a time?  I didn’t think so, buy the one that fits best if the price is near the same.  You have enough projects already. 

Nigel

Edited by Nigel
2 people like this

Yes i did buy the same batteries it came with as you are right. Plus I spoke with an electrical eng. and he suggested it best to stick with originals.