Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Spent the weekend dismantling the wreck....

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As the heading states....a buddy and myself spent the weekend completely dismantling the new wreck I purchased for the Clever-end it had on it. I paid enough for the obvious pieces I wanted from it and was happy to do so. 
The job of dismantling a vehicle completely in two hot humid summer days is a difficult task.  Sweat running down your fore head and into your eyes is annoying to say the least..! Let alone all your clothes are basically soaked to the skin!

I have just one or two shots of the final empty body shell as it wasn't our main interest in taking pictures as we went along. Sorry.

The wreck as I now call it has already left the property and is sitting waiting to be sent to the local scrapyard when the price of steal comes back up .  1000lbs of steal only netted this guy $60....hardly worth loading it up..IMHO.!

The parts I got off the wreck so far that are good are....the Clever-end and all the near new rear hatch pieces as they were taken off very early on I think, a new battery, a new alternator, new battery, very good heated seats, power mirrors, very good dash, upgraded speaker boxes, new complete struts  as the paint is new on struts and springs, new rear springs and shocks, 9 spoke wheels, a set of very good steal wheels with good rear snows, A factory in car heater shaped like the CD carrier in the centre dash area,  a drain plug oil pan and spin on oil filter,  a brand new SAM  and the old one, an arm rest, navy blue body panels matching the clever-end, and the best part.....a Smart Car factory car cover!   with it's own bag..I've never seen one before.
Plus all the obvious spare engine parts etc and other body parts that were taken off. 
I have the sub frame sitting in the garage now waiting to be dismantled and also the front sub frame waiting the same ...but I think my back and neck are telling me to take a few days rest.lol. 

I will also be going after the wiring harness to see what is different in it compared to the standard pulse wiring harness compared to the passion wiring harness with all the interior differences.  I may also do as I said, join all the grounds to a common wire to get rid of the many grounding pins located all over the car?  Maybe...?  We'll see.

So even after destroying the wreck, I'm happy for the amount I got from it for what I paid for it.   But I understand now why people don't want to part them out ...lol.

Edited by Willys

@ Willys ........... Did I miss a post somewhere?   Was there a reason why you didn't leave the car as a complete, running unit?  Just curious...

No, I drove it down the street and back the morning we started dismantling it! It ran fine. The floor boards are too far rusted to be able to sell it to anyone and still have a concience!...imho.  And after seeing other issues like no bolt holding the alternator on other than the adjustment bolt it's a good thing I didn't simply pass it off onto someone after taking the parts I wanted, which I could have done easily. 
The Clever-End is all I wanted from it orginally, but after seeing all the relatively new parts I am even happier than I was before with the purchase. Something I wouldn't have known if I had simply sent it down the road for what I paid for it without the clever-end attached.

I'll sell certain parts if someone wants them, but the new parts I will simply use on my good car. A bonus.  Besides I don't want to start a junkyard in my backyard just yet...lol.

1 person likes this

the blue one with the clever?....it sure looked nice in the pictures...im surprised it was so bad it got turned into a parter 

I agree, looked good from afar but far from good or however that saying goes.  Like I said before I was after one part and that is complete and fully usable. I want to stiffen up a few spots and build back up one or two rub spots that over time and neglect have suffered a bit of damage, but all in all I got what i went for. All the rest was a bonus really. I hate parting vehicles out trying to re-coop money and then make a penny or two.  It never really works when you are dealing with not normally wanted vehicles such as the Smart or the bike I used to ride. Both are niche vehicles and there are far fewer people looking for that cheap part where the postage is worth more than the part, seeing as where I live. So I simply ask myself was the part I wanted worth the price of the car....simple. 
I could have sold it off after taking what I wanted and simply replacing the stock rear hatch pieces but, I wouldn't have felt right hiding the rusted floors. The front clip frame supports even had serious rusting on them, again you would never know until you took the front clip off.  Just goes to show you, you can hide plenty if you wanted to pawn off a wreck on some person if you wanted to. How well do you sleep at night? I try to treat people the way I wish to be treated to some extent. I price things at my bottom dollar to start with to end all bickering...I tell people this is the best price either pay it or I'll scrap it...simple. UNLESS you are in need and I see that you simply can't afford to pay much at all. Then I am more than willing to help you out. But people who act like I used to act when I was younger, sorry, I own a sledge hammer and can still lift it...lol. It will soon be worth what you are demanding I give it to you for...lol.
I also like the barter system, it works and works well.
On top of that, I do not need three Smart Cars breeding in my yard...lol.   Two is enough...lol.

But I did for a few minutes contemplate building a snow machine using a bike engine and ski's.....lol.  Take all removable parts off and use just the bare necessities, no doors, glass, rear hatch nothing. Keep it very light and easy to get out of if it went through the ice!  Yes it started to sound like a fun project.....BUT, I have plenty of unfinished projects already.......but would one more made that much of a difference...? Really.....lol....YEP, it sure would...!   So it's on it's way to the scrapyard. period!

BUT, I now have a rear sub-frame and a working front suspension and steering sub-frame......sitting here....all I really need to do is weld in a few rails and join the two together...Hmmm....? Thinking.....AUGH....!   I gotta go.......where's my tape measuring devise...?

31 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

the blue one with the clever?....it sure looked nice in the pictures...im surprised it was so bad it got turned into a parter 

You will see the body panels etc on the road again I'm sure...lol

Well I spent a few hours today disassembling the sub frame bits and pieces. Also the front clip. Brand new struts and go figure, after me ordering new dust shields for behind the rotors, it has an excellent pair...Hmmm, guess the beater will get those..lol. Good rotors also, saved again for beater.  The engine, well....what can I say, a surprise a minute there also. Newish or extremely well preserved injectors, never seen a set used this clean with little to no carbon build up. Same for the glow plugs and EGR. Also a new alternator held on with a single bolt. Good working starter, no corrosion on the usual spade connector or the braided wire. New shocks, but haven't got past the wheels yet on the rear. The inter cooler and it's hoses were the worst I have seen so far, cut all the way across the bottom. Hoses all but rubbed through. Fan not in the best of shape, but operational. Exhaust split but I think repairable. Half shafts looks good but haven't taken them out yet? The amount of oil and black crap on the outside of the transmission etc is incredible. It's the worst stuff to get off your skin besides silver never seize paste! WD-40 seemed to do the best job lol.

High pressure fuel pump seems good also. 
It seems someone had taken this car at one time to a dealership and they simply started replacing parts until they got it running well enough to satisfy the owner IMHO. I bet if they had replaced the inter-cooler it would have been fine. Without all these other bits and pieces replaced. Even the cooling tube for the EGR was new, was...I cut it half getting it off just to make getting the EGR easier to remove and seeing as I will never install it on my cars it isn't a necessity...lol.

I will admit I did spend far too long looking at the two sub frames sitting there wondering what power plant etc and how best to join the two together to make a sports car of some sort....lol.  The usual bike engine, two seats and the front end reassembled would be just fine. It still has it's serial numbers and ownership....lol. In my younger days it would have been already started I dare say...lol.  I nearly built a Lotus 7 replica but decided better.....but before that I was going for the AC Cobra.....the wife informed me it had 2 seats and we had 3 members in the family.....Hmmm...Damn!   So I built the Willys instead.  Toys, I have had more than my fair share I suppose...maybe....lol   Now back to the Smart....lol

i never had much luck on storing old rotors...they always rust and by the time i need them theyre crap

i dont really like the idea of spraying oil on them ...but anyway long story short since i noticed some brands come with special paper wrap now that isnt oily but blocks oxygen or something i was saving some to see how a used rotor would survive but i ended up giving it all away to a gun collector

I also have had little luck in waiting for rotors to be put back into action as you say. But these are almost new so to speak width wise and I thought , maybe just maybe I could freshen them up on the lathe by a quick scuffing trying not to take much material off at the same time.  Then maybe waxing them and wrapping them up in a wax paper for a test to see if this will work? Rotors are cheap so to speak unless you buy the top line ones like i just ordered for the good car. I'm almost at the front of the car now....and this was the last thing I think I may require to bring it back to as new as i can get her.  
I now have far too many spare parts sitting on shelves waiting their turn to be put back into service.   lol.   I had no plan on starting a warehouse...lol

Use fluid film on them to store, brake clean to remove when you plan to use.

Fluid film is basically what they use on the new ones to preserve them till sold.

A light spray is all they need for yrs of storage providing they are wrapped up or bagged.

Here it is now in all it's glory......just a shell of it's former self...lol

20200812_155557.jpg

20200812_155616.jpg

20200812_155626.jpg

20200812_160405.jpg

that first picture would be good to save for the next newb thread asking how to change the starter 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

that first picture would be good to save for the next newb thread asking how to change the starter 

I agree.....lol.

The tool used to remove the inter-cooler is resting on the tire...lol

My garden shed is also housing other useful bits and pieces for the hoarding project...lol.

Other than the suspension bits and the wheels, oil pan and spin on oil filter mod(Which I haven't seen yet) I'm not sure what's useful left on this pile of parts? OH the muffler will be welded up and given a new home I'm sure....