Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stefans

Airbag lamp, SRS lamp, flashing

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

My car is a Smart fortwo 450, 2004 gasoline. I have problem with the SRS-lamp. When I change position of driver the seat (back or forward), the SRS lamp goes on flashing and then it will not turn off again.

The problem seems to be some electrical connection under the drivers seat and I have heard that the best way to solve the problem in to skip the electrical joint an solder the cables together.

Does anyone have some hints on how to do it? There are 2 joints and 4 cables under the seat.

inspect the wires...if they look fine cut out the white connector and solder the wire connection ....use heat shrink tubing 

then youll need an srs capable scan tool to reset the module and turn the light off

1 person likes this

Thank's for Your reply but there is no white connector. There are a black one on the right side and a red one on the left side. Please see the photos.

The colors on the cables on the left side connector are purple/white and purple/green.

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

Hmmmm.....Disconnect battery, first...then take the connector apart carefully and check for corrosion and or burnt pins, then if there is any damages at all  cut the connector out and solder it together, simple.  BUT, it will mean if you wish to remove seat in the future you will require to do it again each time. BUT, first disconnect battery so you do not accidentally set off air bag....just in case.  This is a well known problem....just one of many little idiotic issues all vehicles seem to have.

i thought for sure mine was white (2005)

a sure fire way of knowing which one is to take it apart and look inside...the airbag connector will have a spring type bar that shorts out the pins when disconnected....they are probably also gold plated

mine also looked brand new but they were a problem so dont rely on visual to assess them

1 person likes this

that red one is jogging my memory....im 99% sure it will be that one

1 person likes this

I have checked for the spring type bar and you are right, it´s the red one! Now, as I have understood, the battery must bee disconnected, wires cut and soldered and then use the scan tool to reset the lamp.

Many thank's for the big help!

thats if the connector is the actual problem

it could be a failing airbag or a broken wire somewhere else

the connector is a common problem though and most likely

1 person likes this