Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Cycling 2020

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The people who had done the Granfondo Axel Merckx for 9 years in a row (2011-2019) were offered a free entry to the 2020 event.  That included me.  But then the pandemic hit and the Granfondo was cancelled.

Nevertheless I have been able to have a decent start to the cycling season, and to date I am just shy of 2500 km.  I expect to get to over 3500 km easily and maybe more, weather permitting.  The riding has not been into work as I rarely go to the office anymore but recreational rides, typically to the north of the town where I live.  I've developed some new routes, with smaller secondary roads and variable distances.

My big nemesis this year has been shredded truck retreads, whose steel belts also shed wire shards everywhere and these tend to puncture road bike tires and tubes.

We're headed on a short holiday to the BC interior in just over a week and I'll bring the bike so I can ride part of the Penticton Granfondo course, and maybe around Revelstoke or Nelson too.

Edited by MikeT
typo

Another 200 km have been added since that post and so it's near 2700 km for the year.  I just put a set of new Michelin Power Endurance tires on the Cramerotti as the worn rear tire was getting too puncture-prone.

Did 87 km in the south Okanagan - essentially part of the Granfondo Axel Merckx route - and it was nice.  Lots of climbing and beautiful scenery.

50266092652_fe4bc64a6a_h.jpg

Giant Head Mountain at Summerland BC.  The wines around here are excellent!