Jfk899

Studdable winter tires

9 posts in this topic

Hello 

I just bought a 2008 smart fortwo.  

Wondering if anyone knows where I could buy studdable winter tires for it as there has only been one winter tire option available so far and its unstuddable

Tires 155/60 R15 and 175/55 R15

Thank you!

Welcome to the site, Fort st John eh.....bet it gets plenty of the white stuff...lol.  I highly doubt they exist studded tires for our little beaters, but, I'm sure you have a good hardware store if worst comes to worst...lol.  Don't recommend it if doing highway speeds but ice racers use them.....hex self drilling screws.....plus I bet not legal.  I've used them on my ATV on all four corners and it definately took all the fun out of the ride. It was like it was on rails...!  They worked like a charm....but they do fly out when spun too fast after time. IF you installed larger mud flaps so they don't take out any passing or tail gating drivers, then maybe...???   OR lift car by spacing sub frame from body and use tire chains?  Too much....????   lol

Again welcome and enjoy......keep us posted....IF you are new to the Smart, you'll be very surprised where it can go in stock form.....deep snow will belly pan it, but loosing control isn't easy.

I appreciate your input.  Fast reply.  Im surprised they dont make studdable tires for them, but i havent tried the vehicle in the snow yet.  Mostly just using it for a commuter car to and from work.  It's super close and a flat drive.  We bought a 2008 fortwo for 3000 $.  Drives fine no issues that i know of.  56k on the engine.  

It's very much like the old VW beetle, engine where it should be, right over the drive wheels giving it plenty of traction.  You'll find it works very well.  You will want to add if it already doesn't have it, and that is a oil pan heater for those really cold days. It makes all the difference. Not sure what the gasoline versions are like for engine temperatures while driving during the winter months but us CDI's need to block off 3/4's of the rad to get any good heat from it.  Yours may do well or may not, and maybe you too will require the rad trick...? One thing it doesn't do well at is stopping after getting up to speed maybe too quickly while showing off at how fast it can excellerate in fresh snow....lol...The light turned to red and the front tires simply locked up and acted like ski's....lol. Thankfully the other drivers noticed and let me slide right through...lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

you could get bigger ones...mine had studdable winters 185/55 all around if remember right ..(i used 451 rear rims on the front of the 450)

edit..i just noticed your was a 2008 so i have no idea what tires will fit those

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Thats interesting.  Please keep in mind im very novice when it comes to cars in general.  My only question is how do i know this is safe to do something like this?  

Hmmm...depending upon the laws near you and where you drive about studded tires etc and what you can use as such, would be my first thought?  IF you are allowed to stud tires, do they need to be made to accept studs or can you improvise ?? Then if you can't find tires that can be studded what other rims and tires fit your car?  We come full circle I see...lol.  Obviously we don't know at the moment...lol. Again, I would see if you can drive it as it is. It is surprising where it goes and safely not spinning out. You can turn off your safety traction control system if you wish to as it stops the rears from spinning freely to help get you unstuck. A simple jumper joining two pins on your OBDII plug.  OR, you can do as I did and install a switch on the dash to be able to turn it off whenever you wish.  I rarely need to....I've use it less than half a dozen times......but we also may not get the amount of snow you get...lol. 

Again going back to researching your local laws is where you should start, then think if you need to. IMHO. This little car almost hasn't got the guts to get unstuck without help, so think about that also...lol.   IF you are a new driver so to speak, maybe try it out stock first. Maybe research what you may need and where to get things from, if needed, then buy if you require them. You may be doing all this for nothing?  I know the feeling...lol.  I too like to be prepared just in case. A new set of snow tires work very well. Not cheap either just saying...

Good luck.

Yes, im currently looking into buying snow tires.  We may just settle for using the car as is.  Snow tires are a must where I am.  I am fortunate that we will not be travelling far for work :)

Thanks for your help.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

use an online tire size comparison tool 

tires should generally have less than 3% difference in circumference between front set and rear set..any more will mess with traction control and abs systems

probably the best way to find what works well on a 451 is to search the 451 section for threads that mention tires

Edited by LooseLugNuts