EA1990

Beeping Signal when I hit the breaks in traffic

12 posts in this topic

Hello Guys!

I have a 2008 smart 451 diesel.

today when i started driving i noticed that when i hit the breaks in A or 1, the car starts making a beeping wheeping noise almost like the one when you dint have the seatbelt on but continuous and without pauses. It only happens when the car Comes to a complete stop. It stops beeing when i take my foot of the break or when i put it to N or pull the handbreak. Its not coming from the brakes it sounds like its coming from the actual car Dashboard itself as a warning sound im guessing? 

It does not beep when i hit the brEaks moving, it only beeps when the car stops at a red light for example. 
Its very stressful in heavy traffic obviously

any ideas of the causes and the fixes? 
could it be a break warning signal? 
no warning lights on the dashboard

Have you checked the brake fluid level and or do you have to push brake pedal down to the floor to stop?  

The brakes work perfectly as they always did, this happens just when i touch them. Also, i just realized this happened after a shorter drive today. Later on i took a longer drive (20-30 minutes) and it didnt make the sound anymore

Edited by EA1990

is your door ajar light lit ...even slightly?....

my second question would be whether or not your brake lights are working

ive got no idea then...pretty sure when my 450 did that long ago it was either corrosion in the white connector just forward of battery...or my brake light switch

1 person likes this

On 8/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, Wild! said:

Have you checked the brake fluid level and or do you have to push brake pedal down to the floor to stop?  

Exactly, mine you have to push the brake pedal down to the floor to stop.... if you realize and hit again becomes normal. Next time, it's the same again first to the bottom and than normal. What could it be, pleaseeeeeeee?

Fluid it seems normal level I just checked.

Thanks 

Then you have air in your brake system it needs to be flushed out.

1 person likes this

As Wild mentioned in the previous post, it sounds like air in your system.  Bleed your brake fluid system and see what happens.  That should solve the issue. 

1 person likes this

Also check the master for air in it and bleed it first separately but bleeding the anti-locking brake system is a bugger if you do not have a machine to help you. IF you have the machine it will do it for you after the job is completed so fast you'll head will spin!  A good code reader scan tool is what you require for this job, it should have a setting for doing just this. I tried to do it without this on the wife's car, just could do it until the neighbor came over with his scan tool machine and did it for me, literally seconds...! I had spent hours trying to bleed this thing before that!

1 person likes this

another quick test is to slowly push....

and then try a bunch of fast pushes

if the slow ones all go to the floor but the fast ones feel normal i would suspect the master needs changing

1 person likes this