Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Passenger side of soft top not latching

6 posts in this topic

The Canada 1 has a roof fault today, where the passenger side roof latch would not engage on the lower position and then when putting it up again it didn't latch on that side either.  Nor did the electric assist that engages when the driver's side DID engage in the raised position work.

I've always been a bit flummoxed by the instructions in the owner's manual, which speaks of a "key" in the latch that is used to release something.

Does anyone have any tips?  Glenn?

Hey Mike .... Here is a photo of the "key" that they are referring to.  . It should have been included in your package of owner's guide, maintenance and radio instruction booklets.

How to use it is another story.  I have never had the need. I think it has something to do with a part of the latching mechanism that is stuck and it's role in 'unsticking' that part..   Perhaps another member could shed some more light on that.

004.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

Basically the key drives the cable mechanism when the motor won’t work for whatever reason.  Did you see this thread a few weeks ago.  Sounds like the solution may be similar for you.  http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/32746-2011-roof-opens-but-the-seccond-operation-doesnt-work/#comment-366927

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

I think the motor may not be the issue.  One side is mechanically latching and the other isn't.  I can hear the microswitch clicking when I attempt to engage the side that's not latching so I don't think it's an electric fault.  However I could crank the sucker if I knew it would help.

OK - update: got it working again.

I had tried several times to make the right side latch mechanically on both the right and left side and it didn't work.  So I got the crank out and wiggled the drive motor fore and aft about 1/10th of a turn, leaving it in the position where I started.  Then I tried latching again on the right side in the upper position and it worked and the motor pulled the two sides tightly to the B pillar.

Then I dropped it again and it latched on both sides.  I guess the motor wiggle did the trick.

1 person likes this