Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Getfuzzy

OBD2 tuning box

11 posts in this topic

I had planned on getting a Malone tune but am now looking at these OBD2 port tuning boxes. They plug into the OBD2 port and have the map loaded in the box. Claim up to 30% increase in hp and torque. The ones I've looked at were Proracing and Chip power. Has anyone tried these? Results? TIA.

IMHO, it depends upon what it is you are after.....in way of full on performance and suffer the ill effects from that, OR, simply asking for a bit more performance and taking a slight hit on fuel consumption and such...?
I'd want to see some stats on any remap I installed to make sure it was within my limits of what I wanted and was will to suffer because of it.  To each their own, I personally go after fuel economy but many want performance and are willing to loose all fuel economy to gain it. Then comes, can you actually get 30% increase easily from any engine by simply changing the settings? Especially if you are speaking of a 700 cc 3 cylinder diesel...?   Just asking for a friend....lol.   I know it took thousands to jump from 35 to 55 HP on a 650 cc single cylinder motorcycle. Old school ways, with machining and changing hard pieces of the engine not changing the tune as it never had a tune unless you changed a carb jet etc etc.....lol

Again, it is a personal choice and to each their own.....enjoy and make sure you let us know what you find....I'm always curious about gaining power...lol

I know that a remap can increase the hp reliably, as smart has done it themselves in later .8l cdi models. Most of the time I go for economy but there are times like merging onto a hiway when that extra hp is helpful. The pros for using these OBD2 boxes is that the remap isn't permanent and that they can use the current conditions (push a reset button) to determine the new remap parameters or use what was used previously. The cost is about the same as a Malone tune (+- $250) but some Malone dealers charge a $150 installation fee. They make a couple of different models of OBD2 boxes (diesel and gas) for many makes and models. I'm leaning towards getting one but I'm going to do a bit more research on them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to be skeptical of remaps but some testimonials that accumulated about the remap that Eddy in Richmond BC provides, including one cdi from Chilliwack that went 300,000+ km on this tune before being destroyed in a collision, made me remap the Canada 1.

On the impact upon fuel consumption, it has cost me 0.25 L/100 km but some of that is down to how I drive the Canada 1 versus the green and black car.  That's 3.95 L/100 km lifetime versus 4.2.  The green and black car was on skinny tires and wheels for about 20,000 km too whereas the Canada 1 always had the wide ones, starting at 4000 km on (4000 km on snow tires).  In the first car, there were a number of fuel economy contests where we tried to outdo each other and it as VERY gently driven during those and at most other times.  The Canada 1 is driven like a normal car, 4000 RPM on upshifts and faster cruising speeds.

Driven economically, the remapped car will probably be slightly more economical than a stock one.  That's because the torque is higher and on hills it's rare that a downshift is needed.  If you use a ScanGauge or similar, you will know what I mean, holding the taller gear saves fuel.  My best tanks on the remapped car are the same as the best ones on the stock car.

With close to 130,000 km on the remap and 30,000 km beforehand, it's still doing fine.

The power gain was claimed to be 25 HP but my guess is it has about 60 HP.  Torque is high and the car will do a very small burnout if you nail it.  0-100 km/h times go down by about 5 seconds and top speed goes up by about 20 km/h on flat roads.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of the OBDII plug in but the remap I have has been an excellent investment of $300.

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

After doing some more digging, I've found that most of the obd2 plug in boxes are scams (all of the small ones are just resistors and led's). The pro racing one that was made by racechipgalaxy was/is a scam but the identical looking one from proracing24 may not be(?). Both of these were/are made in Poland. Some reviews on the proracing24 obd2 models have been positive but may be fake, placebo effect or it just gives a faster pedal response. The more I look the more murky it gets. The question comes down to whether or not proracing24 is actually racechipgalaxy. So I'm sitting on the fence about this one and the Chippower one. Another thing, there is a proracing24 and a chippower24 website. Is this a coincidence or are they one and the same?  

Edited by Getfuzzy
added info

Hmmmm.....interesting isn't it.....Can I interest you in a bottle of my famous snake oil mechanic in a can......100 % reliable and worth every penny or double your money back......just send me.......lol

Some more info, Racechipgalaxy no longer has its website so it seems its out of business. Proracing24 and Chippower24 appear to be separate businesses run by single owners in Poland. Proracing24 does about $320,000 worth of autoparts business per year, don't know how much of that is tuning boxes.No financials on Chippower24. The question is are these companies scam operations which disappear after a few years or do they have viable products to sell. After all this I may just get a Malone or Eddy tune after all, at least I'll know what I'm getting.  

1 person likes this

I will say both my cars have been tuned  from what I have experienced or been told. My summer car from Glenn has the tune he installs, but the beater is even quicker so to speak, if you can use the word quicker and Smart Car in the same sentence....lol.  Now is that because everything is much more worn out or in...?  Reducing the drag on closer tolerances etc. OR does it have a different tune than the summer car? The beater also gets better fuel economy than the summer car well before I started to restore it that is. I will also say the cylinders were badly warped in the summer car but it ran perfectly. It took 3X pistons to get the imperfections out of the bore that's how warped they were!!!  It didn't use oil, burn oil or show any signs of warped cylinders...?  But the power was down compared to the beater. The beater has has a harder life by the over all condition than the summer car and from what the machinist told me the damage was caused by far too many short trips where the engine never really came up to operating temps.  Poor cooling cycles etc.

So ask around and find out who uses what and decide using the best opinions you can find. I'd speak with the guys who know the electronic side of these cars and who knows how to actually change the tune of the computers over someone like me who simply deals with the hard solid item mechanically speaking. I normally get my horse  power/torque by modifying parts  etc, compared to changing computer settings......old school compared to new age techniques.

Keep us informed ....ca't wait to hear which you decide upon and the resulting.....comparisns

Thanks

While looking at these obd2 magic boxes I found the TDC power box on Amazon for $100. It looks like the one others on this forum have used and liked for the most part. I'll give it a go and see if it can give a bit more power. Maybe this is all I need.

1 person likes this

Waiting for your opinion on it with anticipation....and resulting numbers for fuel economy changes......Hmmmmmm......?

If, not to much of a hit, just maybe....if I no longer need to think I'm driving a 5 ton....lol

I've installed the TDC power box and used it for a few days. I can't say that I've noticed a lot more power or torque. There may be a bit more torque as I tried lugging the engine to see if there is more torque and there is a bit more but no night and day difference. I will try adjusting it a bit more to see if it will make a difference but my butt dyno isn't very sensitive. According to TDC it alters a temperature reading so the ecu compensates for the fuel being less dense to increase fueling, it doesn't increase the rail pressure. It's looking like I'll be getting a remap after all.

1 person likes this