Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Stumped: Fob will unlock/lock, but immobilizer still active.

6 posts in this topic

Guess this is a long time coming for me to mess up big. So hopefully someone here can help.

Background:

I wanted to test my new C3 MUX, but when I went to use my USB drive that had the program on, I found out that my wife put it through the wash and its now dead. Long story short, I lost all my backup copies (all 4 copies were either corrupted or the HD had issues, talk about luck). I was able to download another VMware image, but then found out that it didn't have the TAN bypass patch done. Found the file, and did the patch. Got success in coding new Fobs that I got...all buttons worked on the 2 Fobs that I coded....here's where it went sideways.

Issue:

Wanted to go do dinner with my wife, and tried to start the car....doors would unlock, but the immobilizer key stayed on the display. Tried multiple times without any success disarming it. Tried recoding, same thing. Tried coding under the ECU menu and SAM menu, no differences.

More info:

Before al this happened, I've been having intermittent issues cold starting: turn key, wait for glow plugs, make sure the "N" is there, crank the car...the starter would just crank with no start, in-tank pump is working. If you cycle the key right away, it'll start without any issues. Only does that once in awhile. May or may not be related. I went in with STAR and found some stored CAN codes with ECU, but all inactive even with the immo unable to disarm.

Please help!

Izzy

Potential issues:

- a bad TAN code bypass file?

- CAN issues between SAM/cluster/ECU?

- bad C3 MUX (I haven't tried the other one as it was set aside for another member)

- bad STAR image?

All else fails, I might be able to borrow Mikasa Performance's SDConnect C4 that I setup awhile back to test...but still not interested in making round trip to Red Deer (2.5hr each way).

Just curious have you looked at the plugs etc under the shifter key  slot tower?   Maybe just a bad connection or broken wire ..?  There is a circuit board under the gear shift tower. I think it's the immobilizer...?  Not sure what else it could be.?

Can't imagine what i would do if that happened to me...I'd be screwed...lol.  Sorry dear but i found these in your pants when I went to fold them....AUGH....!!!!   My wife finds things all the time in my pockets but nothing valuable...lol.  And always after they have gone through the wash cycle, never before.!

The relay looking thing underneath the SE drive cover is the FOB antenna/whatever...it goes directly to the SAM. Assuming that the SAM authenticates the FOB signal and then communicates with the ECU that the FOB signal is good to disarm the immo. However, to my knowledge, the communication is all based on CAN between the SAM/ECU/Cluster...so I think my issue has to do with the SAM not communicating with the ECU at some level. Without getting into the whole new complex world of CAN bus ID reading, I won't be able to know what is being communicated and what isn't.

I know that I can still flash the ECU with the immo armed...maybe its time to do an immo defeat map?? Sounds more work than just figuring out the problem!

Solved! (by accident).

So the issue appears to have been caused by my laptop:

After posting up issue, I brought my gear back into the house and I needed to charge my cellphone. With the USB cable plugged in, I noticed that my phone was only intermittently charging kicking in and out. I tried the other USB port and it did the same thing. With that, I wondered if it had anything to do with my problem - the VM image was on an external USB hard drive, and the STAR was connected via a serial to USB adaptor. I lugged my giant iMac 27" into the C1 and tried to code the key again this time with the VM image on the internal hard drive. Success, it coded and everything worked as it should. I have no idea how a bad USB power supply affects the programming/coding, just know that this fixed the problem...just glad that it wasn't something more complicated.

Izzy

2 people like this

K.I.S.S.

Usually the first thing to check and find the answer.....sure wish I could K.I.S.S.     but I'm wired to always go searching for the most difficult solution first.....AUGH....!!!!

Glad to hear you solved it.

I'm playing lumber jack again for the next few days so won't be getting into my cars anytime soon.  But will keep you informed about what I find with the spare harness.