PowerShellMan

Glow Plug Light Smart Fortwo 450 2006

4 posts in this topic

Anybody know offhand what the cause is most likely for this?

Initially bought car certified but Glow plug light would stay on all the time.  Mechanic went into a lot of work.   

Plugs replaced, wiring checked.   Eventually it was diagnosed as the Relay was bad.   So Unplug relay in the meantime in the summer, order replacement, life good.

Replacement arrived and installed (did it myself, two bolts off, pop off old connectors, pop on new, bolt up, done)

So "new problem" (or thing)

Start car (with replacement relay).   Light goes on and goes off by itself.   Start car. Glow plug Light goes on.   But after I think it's 60 or 120 (I'll have to count but it's consistent) the light turns off.   I knows it's not normal because my other 2006 stays off.

So I'm pretty certain the Glow plugs are heating and shutting off.   But does anybody know what this 1 minute or 2 minute delay after starting the engine means?    Mechanically everything seems happy, just trying to identify what the Glow plugs are whining about.

since the glow plugs were just replaced,  they should be a piece of cake to take out.   

if it was me,  i would take them back out and check the resistance with a multimeter.   

mabey your new plugs were held on and damaged by the old defective relay.

just a thought.

1 person likes this

The glow plug light on my 2002 MK6 CDI kept staying on for about 3 months, then it started working correctly again. That was a few years ago. Never had any problem with it since. It's an age related thing. The system is probably just picking up slightly different electrical resistances and thinking it's a fault. If the car starts ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

I suspect the person that replaced glow plugs did not ream and clean the bores hence glow plugs are now knackered.