Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lilturbo

New Smart Car Buyer

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I recently started looking at a 2006 Smart Fortwo, my plan is to do a 4x4 conversion into it or something like that just for fun. Could anyone help me out with where I could go to find all terrain or mud tires that would fit the model, and rims? This would be the first time I’ve put money into a vehicle and I want it to look awesome. Thanks guys!

Welcome ! please post pics when you get it done! maybe think about putting the smart body on a 4x4 chasis from something else?  

I'm sure it will be cool whatever you do to it smarts are cool!

Welcome here.

How are you going to fit a driven front axle?

The smart suspension has extremely poor articulation so you're not likely to have much ability on rough roads is using the smart chassis.

If grafting the smart shell onto another 4x4 chassis, the challenge will be finding a donor vehicle with a 1850 mm wheelbase more or less.  You won't, so some serious welding would be required to make it fit, and then the question is finding tires for the donor vehicle, not the smart.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Welcome here.

The smart suspension has extremely poor articulation so you're not likely to have much ability on rough roads is using the smart chassis.

If grafting the smart shell onto another 4x4 chassis, the challenge will be finding a donor vehicle with a 1850 mm wheelbase more or less.  You won't, so some serious welding would be required to make it fit, and then the question is finding tires for the donor vehicle, not the smart.

lilturbo, here is a wheelbase cross reference tool there are some out there close you might find something suitable anyway for entertainment purposes here is a link   https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/wheelbase-cross-reference/?wb=1810

25 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Welcome here.

I don’t mean an exact 4x4 conversion, just some 4x4 things on it to make it look cool. I won’t be taking it on rough roads

Are you looking for either of  these types of set-up?  See photos

Smart ForFun1.jpg

Smart 4-wheeler - North Bay.jpg

2 people like this

Something more like the bottom one yes. I was thinking of doing something like this: 

61D5B55E-934C-4FCD-A9D7-4F08BDD57793.jpeg

6 hours ago, cheapsmart said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/only-in-canada-smart-car-transformed-into-snow-car-1.2804583

This would be more useful for me! I met a guy who built one in Sudbury a couple weeks ago.

what color was it?

just asking because i sold my 2005 coupe and my 2005 cabrio to people in that area ...wondering if it might be one of mine

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, lilturbo said:

Hey guys

I recently started looking at a 2006 Smart Fortwo, my plan is to do a 4x4 conversion into it or something like that just for fun. Could anyone help me out with where I could go to find all terrain or mud tires that would fit the model, and rims? This would be the first time I’ve put money into a vehicle and I want it to look awesome. Thanks guys!

if youre thinking off road only...which is basically your only legal option ...i would suggest using a side by side chassis..and mount the smart body onto it

ive had this idea for years but good side by sides are hard to find at cheap price

even a lift kit on a stock smart is illegal ..getting technical youre not even supposed to have tires that are any size other than the factory ones listed on the door plate

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Your biggest issue will be power to turn these tires imho. I come from decades of off roading with Jeeps etc etc....when you stop against some shopping mall speed bumps, it's all it can do to get over some, I've even had to back up  and get a slight run at one as it had a sharper edge on it....!!!   I was also going to do this lift idea and have a lift kit here sitting on the shelf waiting for when my good car finally sees the light of day again. Maybe I'll lift the beater again...?   I did have it lifted with a home made kit but i didn't use soft rubber between the springs and my lift and after a time it got louder and louder so i removed it.  I went up maybe 3 inches, it was noticable and not bad for the roll feel even with the stock skinny tires and wheels. I was going to use a far larger tire combo for the car that is....not in the actual off roading world....lol. 
My idea simply was to soften gravel road harshness of pot holes etc by gaining suspension using the side walls of the tires .  The lift also would have been good for deeper snow, but after driving it for a winter it deals with the snow just fine with good snow tires.  Look into a switch to turn off the VSA and ABS system to allow you to spin the wheels easily if you need to to get unstuck, but turn it back on after getting free. The car is super safe with it all working. Far more fun and unstable with it turned off.

I'd be very curious to see how much that tracked car works in deep snow etc with the low number of horses we get to play with.

I think you'd need to be able to control the clutch properly to make the car workable for offroading.

LooseLugNuts I do not recall what colour it was, sorry!

4 hours ago, Willys said:

I'd be very curious to see how much that tracked car works in deep snow etc with the low number of horses we get to play with.

In the article, it mentions being capable of 70kph.  This is about half of the normal max. of an unaltered smart.  This tells me that the ratio at the rear has changed dramatically with the addition of the tracks.  It's amazing how much better things are when the ratio is changed that much. 

In my motorcycle competition days, I would take (as an example) a 90cc motorcycle that would stall on a steep hill, put a larger sprocket on the rear (which reduced its' top speed) and it would tackle the same hill with no problems.  Perhaps this works the same way with the altered smart??

Well its not quite complete... but so far its been a ride. BTW I suck at documenting things.

There is a DayStar 2inch lift w/Nokian WR G4 205/65R15

If I should start my own thread over interest I will do so.

There were several other items introduced to this gem... some barbaric and some a little (i mean just a smidge) more refined.

Tunes, Tires and Welds ohh my. 

Everyones 2¢ is more than welcome and appreciate any help/input.

Lifted 06 Smart Fortwo.jpg

2 people like this

I'm curious to hear what you have done exactly....as I have the same kit sitting on a shelf waiting for me to install it and buy new rubber...lol.    My biggest fear is the loss of my incredible fuel economy using larger tires. I have had the lift installed without any loss of any mileages.  Hmmmm......augh!  Thanks...

I've  always found our smarts to be as arrow dynamic as a barn, love the lift for winter snow and or those small objects that you now can avoid on the road that have a tendency of wrecking the front spoiler.