Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

451 will not turn over

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I have multiple smart 450 cdi's, but I am new to the 451's.

I just picked up my first 451. I bought it as a non starter. Here is what I have found so far.

Key is stuck in the ignition cylinder, I am not sure why, I assume its fully turned to the off position. Although the radio and dash lights remain on for a bit.

Car will not turn over, when I try to start it, a buzzer beeps 3 times.

When the ignition is on, I can cycle thru park, neutral and drive, the ABS traction control and yellow triangle lights are on.

I have read of issues getting keys to go into dirty ignition cylinders but I do not recall mention of a key stuck in the ignition.  I would question if the selector is truly in park.

When you cycle the gear selector, does the corresponding gear show up in the display?

Any stored fault codes?

1 person likes this

That'll teach ya for stepping outside the CDI bubble buddy....lol.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Huronlad said:

I have read of issues getting keys to go into dirty ignition cylinders but I do not recall mention of a key stuck in the ignition.  I would question if the selector is truly in park.

When you cycle the gear selector, does the corresponding gear show up in the display?

Any stored fault codes?

Worked at it a bit today. Only fault is "cylinder 2 misfire" 

And when I cycle thru the gears, the corresponding symbol appears on the dash display.

If the battery is good, could simply be a failed starter.  It is a fairly easy job to replace.

Worked on it a bit more this evening. Got the key out, shift lever seems to be just a tad out of adjustment, causing the key to be stiff to turn to the full left.

And the not turning seems to just be a bad starter.  

So I'm going to pull the starter,   but before I disconnect the battery. Does the factory cd player have a code like the 450's do? I didn't get an owners manual with the car.

You didn't mention the year of the car but as long as it's the earlier Radio 9 or 10 there's no code. :)

7 hours ago, jwight said:

You didn't mention the year of the car but as long as it's the earlier Radio 9 or 10 there's no code. :)

It's a 2008.  

18 minutes ago, smart142 said:

No radio code needed.

thanks Glenn,   i'm going to be asking you a lot of questions on this car.   

i'm a virgin to the 451 model.   lol

but i couldn't turn it down for $250.00   lol

how reliable are the gas engines in these cars.  the car i just picked up has 165,000k on it.  right of the bat, i am looking at $260.00 for a starter.  then work on getting her back on the road.

IMHO...before spending anything at all, I'd be checking all sorts of things to hopefully tell you it's worth it. Compression, bore scope the cylinders, fuel delivery, electrical condition, then look at the simple stuff, brakes, over all condition, interior etc etc.
I'm someone to talk as I dump money hand over fist when I start a project...lol. But it'll be something I keep for myself to use for hopefully years to come.   So, do your homework before spending more than what you can get out of it. IF you are thinking flipping it or keeping it?   Personally I'm stuck on the CDI's simply because of the fuel consumption etc etc.  The gasser's simply don't interest me because you can get a far better vehicle than a Smart that gets the same sort of consumption rates. Also the performance aspect of them, HP wise  isn't there, at least from what I hear.  To each their own.
Good luck...

34 minutes ago, Sydney said:

how reliable are the gas engines in these cars.  the car i just picked up has 165,000k on it.  right of the bat, i am looking at $260.00 for a starter.  then work on getting her back on the road.

shop around

rockauto has starters for $98 after core return

might find a used one even cheaper https://www.car-part.com/

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

well thats all i need to know.    this car will go back on the road and live again.     (i hate scrapping them anyway)