Coolingthunder

Smart ForFour 254 CDI clicks, no start

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My GF's Smart suddenly died. This morning when she went to start it, nothing happened when she turned the key, only some loud clicking from under the hood

I had a quick look, multimeter showed battery at only 10.5V-11V, so truly dead. 

Tried jumping it, but no joy, same result. Just some very loud clicking from under the hood.

Could it be that the battery is so dead that it pulls down the rest of the circuit?

Or is the starter/starter solenoid maybe dead? I hope not as that thing is almost impossible to reach...

Also get the immobilizer icon on the dash now. The key symbol. Sorry if this is not the right place but couldn't find a subforum for the ForFour.

There is no sub forum for the ForFour.  Although we have members from all over the globe, it is a Canadian based site and we didn't get the ForFour over here.  However, a lot of the issues with the ForTwo's and the ForFour's are similar with similar cures.

I am not a mechanic, so I can't help you with that, but it is nearly midnight here so wait a few hours and someone with more know-how than me may be able to answer your questions.

Starter battert low on charge and possibly old needing replacement.  Charge battery first to confirm.

Load clicking comes from starter solenoid.  Battery cannot deliver sufficient voltage and amps.

Can also be rotten earth strap and bad contact on battery terminals.

On 2020-10-05 at 6:37 PM, Coolingthunder said:

Hi all,

I had a quick look, multimeter showed battery at only 10.5V-11V, so truly dead.

Could it be that the battery is so dead that it pulls down the rest of the circuit?

Yes - if the battery is severely discharged you won't be able to jump it. 10.5 is severely discharged. I'd wire in a known-good battery (e.g. the battery from the jump-starting vehicle) and check that; if you still can't start it, investigate other problems.