Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikepas

Loss of power in 6th gear

7 posts in this topic

Wondering what the problem would be that I'm losing power in 6th gear. Holds 105km in 5th but when shift into 6th it hold the speed. I have changed the fuel filter. 

First thing I would suggest is to grab the arm on the turbo wastegate with channel locks and open and close the wastegate a few times to make sure it is not sticking.  Now go for a drive, any better?  If not when you put your foot into it does it feel like there is more power at 3/4 throttle than full?  If so that is one of the signs that the high pressure fuel pump needs an overhaul.  Overhauling the pump is pretty easy and cheap, getting it out no so much.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with more ideas.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Could be a leak in the intercooler or loose clamp on a hose.

Are you new to the cdi smarts?  

Remember you are driving an underpowered square box down the highway. Mine shifts into 6th around 105 and will do 120 easy.   But... any head wind or uphill grade and it's dies pretty quick.

2 people like this

22 hours ago, Nigel said:

First thing I would suggest is to grab the arm on the turbo wastegate with channel locks and open and close the wastegate a few times to make sure it is not sticking.  Now go for a drive, any better?  If not when you put your foot into it does it feel like there is more power at 3/4 throttle than full?  If so that is one of the signs that the high pressure fuel pump needs an overhaul.  Overhauling the pump is pretty easy and cheap, getting it out no so much.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with more ideas.

Nigel

Thanks will try that 

How is your fuel economy? If it is exceptionally good chances are you might have a stuck open EGR valve

1 hour ago, autovel said:

How is your fuel economy? If it is exceptionally good chances are you might have a stuck open EGR valve

Hmmmm.......seems like a great reason to Hmmmm.....remove the EGR if that is the case...lol.    And YES my fuel economy is exceptional....lol.