Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerShellMan

Major Minor Surgery on my 2006 Pure

3 posts in this topic

Dropping off my Smart with Don Fournier in Ottawa in Thursday for one key reason.  Some leak (I think it's Diesel) from the filler side on the driveway.   

Hopefully not too bad to fix but I have Budgeted to presume the Engine might need a drop.  If so I will FINALLY get the "Beer Can" removed from the back which I think is the source of all the oil spraying :)

Yeah.....I'll post the pic.  It's an old thread on top Coor's Light can that somebody slapped in with little holes to "patch" a hose that goes to the intercooler and broke.

Am I blessed?  Yes I am

Don took a good look at my 2nd car and it turns out the Beer Can (although STUPID looking) really isn't hampering the engine in a negative fashion.   Nope it turns out all that oil giving the back of the car an "Ugly waterproofing job" was the oil pan rotting.

So new oil pan on order and car will be fine.   Caught it early enough that the freshly changed oil hadn't dropped deep enough to blow the engine! :)

An added bonus for me (I read too many videos on Changing the Smart Fortwo 450 oil on the wrong engine type)

I actually thought I had to manually pump out the oil on the CDI.  So GLAD there is an oil drain plug to do the job!  (But I'll still let Don do that work, it gives me a chance to let a Mechanic look at the car while its up to see if he spots anything)

All I know is ... happy Happy HAPPY! Car will be in solid running condition for the Highway next week!

Living in the Pot Hole Capital of Canada and also the salt kingdom.......you will need that EXTRA coating of rust proofing your car's been getting...lol.  Yep, I'm an ex-pat from Ottawa, did my high school years in the eastend.....plus I get back there maybe twice a year to visit family and bitch and complain every time about the condition of the roads. You'd think seeing as it's the country's capital they would spend a bit more on their roads to make the place seem better than the rest of the country....Hmmmm...?

Glad it was a simple fix and that you also now have a drain plug to get easy changes .....imho.