Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

key teach in

9 posts in this topic

i know i had asked before.  

with my ever growing collection of 450's & now a 451.  i am looking for a handheld scanner to code keys.

every car i have, has only 1 key and i can see this being an issue eventually.

i would love a STAR,  but right now i just want to be able to teach in the key fobs

i had asked about a Delphi DS150E before and was told it will relearn keys  (but i would need to have it mated to a laptop.

has anyone tried a handheld and had any luck with it?

if so,  can you pass along some model numbers.

thanks.

Talk directly to IZZY, Stickman007    I bet he knows....
I was just looking at scanners also for ABS bleeding capabilities, and one stated it would recode keys, but I bet it wouldn't do a SMART, just maybe the GM, Fords and Chevy's......just my opinion is all....it was a Autel in the $300 range on Amazon, sorry didn't keep the info as I gave it up, for the snowblower...lol

ive only used the delphi

im fairly certain i seen a foxwell model that said it did smart keys 

On October 14, 2020 at 4:16 PM, Willys said:

Talk directly to IZZY, Stickman007    I bet he knows....
I was just looking at scanners also for ABS bleeding capabilities, and one stated it would recode keys, but I bet it wouldn't do a SMART, just maybe the GM, Fords and Chevy's......just my opinion is all....it was a Autel in the $300 range on Amazon, sorry didn't keep the info as I gave it up, for the snowblower...lol

Would the STAR do abs bleed?

is abs bleed even necessary?

my first coupe sat for years with brake lines disconnected...the whole system was empty...i remember just bleeding it the normal old fashioned way with zero problems

36 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Would the STAR do abs bleed?

I'm soon to learn if it will....as soon as I get motivated to get back at it....after the initial re-teach of all actuators, then it's brake bleeding time....I made the mistake of emptying the whole system when I was removing the sub frame.....far too interested in getting the mechanics apart to see what's inside.
I will let you know.  Sure hope it does.   I just did the wife's Honda and yes you can get a semi hard pedal without a scanner bleeding the ABS unit, but after using the scanner it was rock hard, best brakes ever...!   So, maybe you can do without, but why would you if you can find a way to bleed them?

I've only used the star once to bleed the brakes, I wouldn't want to do it again,

Its a minimum 2 man job. One to man the computer, the other to keep the fluid reservoir full and to open and close the bleeders. The ABS pump puts through a lot of fluid.

A third person would be helpful,

I've had good results using a power bleeder and thats a 1 man job.

1 person likes this

That is how the scanner my buddy does it. It's a two man job and yes it requires you to keep checking the reservoir for fluid.  But, I've been told it must be done in one of those two ways, STAR or similar or Pressure bleeding.  Air gets trapped in the ABS module and you simply do not get solid brakes. They may work, but not safely so to speak.

Even manually bleeding the brakes is a two man job so using a scanner or the STAR is the same, you just must keep an eye on the reservoir more IMHO.

It was also far quicker to use the Scanner or a STAR, that is over simply manually bleeding them with an ABS system.