Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Canada 1 update

12 posts in this topic

The clutch on the white Canada 1 has begun to slip at 158,000 km. 

It's probably a simple if somewhat expensive thing to fix so the car will be taken off the road and laid up in the back of our garage behind the Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection for the foreseeable future, maybe years.  The smart is surplus to our needs anyway and with the 404 months away from becoming drivable I am not going to want to have three cars on the road at one time in any case.

Any recommendations for storing the car?  I was thinking of getting a fuel stabilizer and of course removing the battery.

Fresh oil change, fuel stabilizer, ( as you mentioned ),  battery maintainer ( if it's left in the car ), clean it inside and out and get it warm ( run or take it for a drive ) before storing it.  Try to make sure it's fully dry before storing and use a cover if you have one.

2 people like this

fill the fuel tank.  algae requires oxygen to grow in diesel.   if the tank is full there is no oxygen    

we used to do that in the winter when storing diesel boats.

2 people like this

Battery tender (like CTek or Genius... no need to remove battery unless it may freeze), full fuel tank, double dose with additive you run while filling (to get good mix), cover it, convertible top fully up, side windows cracked open slightly, start ‘r up monthly and run for 5 minutes.  I have an unheated garage and run a small space heater (500 w) when it’s below freezing.  If you car has a block or oil pan heater, put it on a timer during the coldest periods and run a couple of times a day.
On a nice warm, dry day you may want to take it out for the proverbial “Italian Tuneup”
Fresh oil.... meh, unless it’s due to be changed.   You’re not running as usual.

I’ve kept my ‘05 this way for 2 years, driving it only 4 or 5 times, totalling about 400 kms.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

id park it...and spray the alternator with krown while its running ...then shut it down and bring the battery in the house

maybe sprinkle some cayenne fine ground pepper inside if its in an area that might get mice

filling the tank is also a great idea ...

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

It is done.

CDN ONE plates.jpg

1 person likes this

One consequence of turning in these plates is that CDN ONE will never be issued again, so if I re-register the car in a few years' time it will be under normal plates.  I actually kept the front plate as a souvenir, on the garage wall.

I'll be getting this sort of plate for the Peugeot soon, likely PININ for Pininfarina.  I hope it's not taken.

37 minutes ago, MikeT said:

One consequence of turning in these plates is that CDN ONE will never be issued again, so if I re-register the car in a few years' time it will be under normal plates.  I actually kept the front plate as a souvenir, on the garage wall.

I'll be getting this sort of plate for the Peugeot soon, likely PININ for Pininfarina.  I hope it's not taken.

You only had a few months left on the sticker.  You should keep the plates and they could never be reissued to someone else.  If you ever decide to re-introduce the Canada 1 to the road, you simply need to get new stickers.

I decided against it so all I have is a nice souvenir.  That's OK.

Ontario waits around 6 months to re-issue plate numbers.

We found this out in selling my Canada1 with plate # ‘1 OF 4’

New owner can re-apply for this plate after 6 months.

I really don't care about the plate being on the car or not - I kept one as a souvenir and a normal plate will suffice if and when she's on the road again.

hopefully it will be back on the road again.

1 person likes this