Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Canada 1 update

45 posts in this topic

The clutch on the white Canada 1 has begun to slip at 158,000 km. 

It's probably a simple if somewhat expensive thing to fix so the car will be taken off the road and laid up in the back of our garage behind the Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection for the foreseeable future, maybe years.  The smart is surplus to our needs anyway and with the 404 months away from becoming drivable I am not going to want to have three cars on the road at one time in any case.

Any recommendations for storing the car?  I was thinking of getting a fuel stabilizer and of course removing the battery.

Fresh oil change, fuel stabilizer, ( as you mentioned ),  battery maintainer ( if it's left in the car ), clean it inside and out and get it warm ( run or take it for a drive ) before storing it.  Try to make sure it's fully dry before storing and use a cover if you have one.

2 people like this

fill the fuel tank.  algae requires oxygen to grow in diesel.   if the tank is full there is no oxygen    

we used to do that in the winter when storing diesel boats.

2 people like this

Battery tender (like CTek or Genius... no need to remove battery unless it may freeze), full fuel tank, double dose with additive you run while filling (to get good mix), cover it, convertible top fully up, side windows cracked open slightly, start ‘r up monthly and run for 5 minutes.  I have an unheated garage and run a small space heater (500 w) when it’s below freezing.  If you car has a block or oil pan heater, put it on a timer during the coldest periods and run a couple of times a day.
On a nice warm, dry day you may want to take it out for the proverbial “Italian Tuneup”
Fresh oil.... meh, unless it’s due to be changed.   You’re not running as usual.

I’ve kept my ‘05 this way for 2 years, driving it only 4 or 5 times, totalling about 400 kms.

1 person likes this

id park it...and spray the alternator with krown while its running ...then shut it down and bring the battery in the house

maybe sprinkle some cayenne fine ground pepper inside if its in an area that might get mice

filling the tank is also a great idea ...

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

One consequence of turning in these plates is that CDN ONE will never be issued again, so if I re-register the car in a few years' time it will be under normal plates.  I actually kept the front plate as a souvenir, on the garage wall.

I'll be getting this sort of plate for the Peugeot soon, likely PININ for Pininfarina.  I hope it's not taken.

37 minutes ago, MikeT said:

One consequence of turning in these plates is that CDN ONE will never be issued again, so if I re-register the car in a few years' time it will be under normal plates.  I actually kept the front plate as a souvenir, on the garage wall.

I'll be getting this sort of plate for the Peugeot soon, likely PININ for Pininfarina.  I hope it's not taken.

You only had a few months left on the sticker.  You should keep the plates and they could never be reissued to someone else.  If you ever decide to re-introduce the Canada 1 to the road, you simply need to get new stickers.

I decided against it so all I have is a nice souvenir.  That's OK.

Ontario waits around 6 months to re-issue plate numbers.

We found this out in selling my Canada1 with plate # ‘1 OF 4’

New owner can re-apply for this plate after 6 months.

I really don't care about the plate being on the car or not - I kept one as a souvenir and a normal plate will suffice if and when she's on the road again.

Finally today I had a look underneath to see if there is an obvious wiring issue or broken bolt on the clutch actuator that could explain the intermittent clutch slippage.  The three bolts holding the clutch actuator are intact and fine.  The wiring is also OK.

When I was last driving the car on the highway, the clutch would only slip momentarily at maximum torque which together with today's check makes me quite certain that the clutch pack is just worn out.

I started the car today and let it idle outside for a half hour, getting up to 73°C and then ripped up and down our local road a bit with no plates.

The other think I noticed when under the car is that the BRABUS rear springs are SO low that the car is often on the bump stops.  The driver's side bump stop has exploded.  So another job to do is to reinstall the original springs, on the back at least.  Maybe the shocks too, if the Bilsteins are too short for the original springs.

I will probably apply for collector plates for the car whenever I put it back on the road, as cars >15 years old that are of limited production (how about 4?) qualify and it'll be 15 late next year.  Collector plates are super cheap, like under $400 a year for full insurance, pleasure use only.

Well it seems that the collector plate program won't work in the case of the smart because it is an "edition" rather than a "model".  So back to the original idea - it's likely to be off the road a good while.

Discussions with my youngest daughter about buying a smart (her idea - she wants one badly) to replace her Hyundai Elantra automatic led to the idea of her taking over Snowball.  We will see if this comes to pass, but it would be an ideal outcome to me - the car gets a new clutch and stays in the family.  We will follow up on this idea soon.  Of course the sale price would be VERY favourable to her....

3 people like this

Tomorrow the rebuilt engine goes in the 404C so I connected the smart's battery and pulled her outside.  Still need to figure out whether Julia wants this car.  Today my wife said "I miss the smart!".April 11, 2021.jpeg

2 people like this

I would love another C1, but I’m sure my wife will kill me. Hahahaha...

Love your cabrio.

1 person likes this

I can still claim to have owned two C1, a cabriolet and a coupe!

Slippy clutch seems odd at those kms, but, this has had a bit more stress in it's life I suppose.

Julia could always get a cheap gasser? Except they aren't cheap at $1.90 for premium and 7 L/100!!

Off topic - my 2019 Kona EV is bricked - Cynthia is driving a 2003 Corolla! LOL - and I am currently driving a 2001 Toyota bB - JDM RHD auto tranny, yes, in black!

All kinds of new ideas for "next vehicles", but I am enjoying to read about other peoples "current" vehicles for now!!!

If you don't use EV's regularly, you might as well buy a boat anchor and be done with it.

Back in service for now and soon to be diagnosed and I hope repaired soonish.285108-00.jpeg

2 people like this

I think once it was checked.  I'll get M-B Nanaimo to diagnose.  If it's just the teach-in needed, that'd be a bonus.  The clutch has not slipped much yet so maybe it does not need a new clutch pack.

The original standard suspension (30K km on it) will go back in, plus new engine mounts which I already have.

BRABUS sports suspension is rubbish, I would advise no-one to do it.  The shocks began to die after about 90K km and the springs are collapsing (not broken).  In contrast, our first smart's shocks and springs were just fine thank you at 250K km, or at least not blown apart like the BRABUS/Eibach/Bilstein stuff.

Spotted a unicorn in the corner of my eye on this evenings cruise :Dsmart.PNG

2 people like this