Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

glass roof removal

4 posts in this topic

has anyone ever tried to remove the glass roof from a 450?

i was thinking about trying to swap a plastic roof for a glass roof.

i assume they are held in with adhesive.

My local glass guys have done that 3 times for me in the past.

They have that special vibrating knife that cuts the adhesive.

1 person likes this

I would try a recipracating saw with a sharpened blade to a knife edge instead of a toothed blade and flexible and longer than you may think?  Use the professional adhesive that the glass guys use imho.   I'd test the cutting tool on your plastic roof before attempting the glass roof, just to get the feel for it. I watched Glenn's guys doing it and it didn';t look that complicated. Just take your time and a sharp flat saw blade , no teeth.  I have always though of changing my beater's roof to a full glass roof simply to possibly stop any leakages.  I have heard of glass roof's shattering from stone hits at the front of the glass, so beware.....not to nick the glass with the blade, that is why I say use a sharpened saw blade without any teeth to catch the edge of the glass by mistake. 

I'm not sure if spraying the blade with a soapy solution while cutting the rubber adhesive would be a good idea or not simply to make the blade slide easily through the rubber while cutting it...?

1 person likes this

ive never taken a roof out of a 450 but for car/truck windshields ive had great luck with stainless downrigger wire...its cheap and cuts the urethane well

1 person likes this