Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerShellMan

Fun Subwoofer Question

9 posts in this topic

So I expect the Alternator is putting out "just enough" for the car.

Has anybody put a "Real Sub" behind the driver or passenger seat?  Here's what I picked up

12" Polk Audio in proper box - $25 Value Village (yes works!)

140 watt Orion Audio Amp - $25 Value Village (a different one)

So.... here's the question.   If I plug it all in could it draw more current than the Alternator in a 2006 CDI puts out? 

or how close am I? 

That depends strictly upon what type of music is trying to play.....lol.

Anything produced in the past what decade isn't worth even turning the radio on for so no worries. Then you go back a quarter century, it may be OK for 1/4 volume maybe.  Now get back to when we made actual music worth listening to and we have a problem Houston....it'll never keep up to where the volume is supposed to be....lol.    I may be old and gray now, but we did have the best music....plain and simple.....lol.

Now to get back to what you asked.....Hmmmmm....?     Sorry don't know....lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In answer to the question. It's no.

Edited by Wild!
1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

should be fine

i think i seen some ideas a long time ago of people making a sub box that replaced the styro on the passenger footwell..personally im too lazy to make something like taht and would just make it a removable box that fit in the back area 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Excellent.  

In my case @LooseLugNuts This is a standard 12" Sub from Polk Audio in a Box from Best Buy (or whomever sells them).  It just sits behind the driver seat, the Orion amp bolted on and all wires passing from the dash.

I initially thought the amp was dead.  This was my First ever amp wired in so I didn't know about the Pulse wire.

I might just order in some extra connectors from Orion and pre-wire the second.   The sub is HEAVY and....as far as music goes.....

This sucker will be getting some ZZtop, Rush, Aerosmith.... "real music" ;)

1 person likes this

This sucker will be getting some ZZtop, Rush, Aerosmith.... "real music" ;)

Thank GOD.....!!!!!

But they are just the start I hope, please go back a few more years...lol

i have 2 12's in my truck...im not one of those obnoxious street pounders though..i just like the quality of sound it adds even at low volume

1 person likes this

Agreed.  I had it and cranked it up once.... way too much ( but fun to know I can)

My summer project is to pull out the dash in the passion to find out what sub Mercedes wired in.  There is one there and not under a seat.   Under the dash and it used caps I think as I draws off left and right only and patched right into my Pioneer with no wiring change 

When I installed my aftermarket radio I simply didn't use any stock wiring and came off the extra fuse panel which is triggered by the Key from the SAM. I don't trust any stock wiring not to upset something draw wise down the road...so to speak. Far easier to simply run new wires, IMHO.