Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tedder

block heater

6 posts in this topic

I am getting a new thermostat installed on my cdi. I'd like to replace my blown block heater while the coolant is drained. Does anyone out there have a block heater? Or know where I can get one? Tedder in Brockville

My '05 doesn't have a 'block heater', but it does have an oil pan heater.  It works well and is less expensive and can be installed without draining the coolant.

Canadian Tire used to sell those stick on oil pan heaters and they do work well. They don't like being left on all high from what I found last year. Mine fried itself. BUT, if you use a timer they work extremely well.  I buy Canada Polar Heating Pads or something like that.....simply google it and you'll find it. It only requires a small pad somewhere near 100Watts.....I also block off at least 3/4's of my rad for the cold temps, beware of your engine temps during outside temps above lets say 15 degree C.  I forgot to remove it last spring on a day of 17 or so and I got 4 blobs of engine temp while driving on the 401.  I also use a ceramic heater inside the car to heat up the inside while the oil pan heater is on the timer. I simply place it up against the front of the passenger's seat and blow it to the furthest direction so as not to cause a fire hazard.  To each their own...but this is my way of staying warm.  Oh don't forget your battery, it likes a battery blanket too.

i bought some years ago dirt cheap from aliexpress

but never installed them on anything yet

if your pan is an original without drain plug i would suggest ordering a new one from china and ordering a heat pad or two at the same time...then youll know it will be glued on well with all new parts and youll have  a drain

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would suggest either what LLN has suggested or grind the pan clean to perfect bare metal and use their own adhesive and alluminium goo to help seal it on, then spray it black etc to keep rust away from any bare metal.  Can't beat the drain plug.....oil change is tomorrow's job seeing as it's so nice outside, I'll do it early and stay warm!

Edited by Willys

6 hours ago, Willys said:

I would suggest either what LLN has suggested or grind the pan clean to perfect bare metal and use their own adhesive and alluminium goo to help seal it on, then spray it black etc to keep rust away from any bare metal.  Can't beat the drain plug.....oil change is tomorrow's job seeing as it's so nice outside, I'll do it early and stay warm!

im pretty sure those pad instructions are to always get it to bare metal...they dont stick well to paint 

1 person likes this