Purplesmart

Injector cleaning

9 posts in this topic

So, uh, what would be the best method for cleaning out the cylinder? Cleaning out the injectors today, and holy crap are they filthy. Injector #1 gave me the hardest time, it was rusted in, so I've gotta do a heavy clean on it (can't wait for the new nozzles to come in). Other 2 injectors came out pretty easy, #3 being the cleanest and #2 wasn't horrible. But yeah, ended up having to use a pry bar and vice grips to break it loose, and found the crap in the picture (some already fell into the cylinder). Should I just use a vacuum with a hose narrow enough to get in the cylinder bore to get out as much as possible? Any advice is super helpful, as this is my only car, and it needs to run by Sunday at the latest (crappy tire is a 5 minute walk away, so I can get whatever necessary to get this dealt with). 

20201113_171320.jpg20201113_171555.jpg

Damn....thats a dirty bugger for sure..!!!   Worst one I've seen yet..!

I'd be soaking him for plenty of time.   As for the bores, yes I'd be sucking it out just to hopefully get whatever fell in out, then finding something that will drop down with the same diameter as the nozzle tip to help keep more from dropping in. Then slowly use a gas soaked rag to carefully clean out the main bore especially if it's an oily substance. I'll bet that nozzle cap will be a bugger to undo, heat I bet.....but after a sonic cleaning maybe not?  Good luck.....worst case you reinstall them until you can get them totally rebuilt.   And folks wonder why their cars don't run well...lol.   Naw.....nozzle's will be fine no need to look at them...lol.  Just more proof to get this job done..imho.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just doing a soak in solution in the ultrasonic cleaner for now. Will deal with taking the caps off and doing a far better clean when the nozzles come in this Thursday (according to Amazon). Actually using spray nine grez-off mixed 50/50 with hot water, ultrasonic temp at 55°, and it is just destroying the carbon. Gave the rusty injected a light sand on the body to get rid of rust using 300 grit sand paper, it actually wasn't near as bad as it looked dirty, but definitely not as good as the other 2 injectors which came out fine. 

And yeah, I'll run over to Canadian Tire and pick up a little vacuum, somehow make a nozzle that I can attach tubing to and get inside the cylinder to suck up anything that fell in, because, alot fell in on cylinder 1. I just watched it crumble and fall into the hole, I was like, noooooooooo!!! 😅. Thanks again for the input Willys, super appreciated. 

Pic is the super rusty injector shown earlier, cleaned up quite well after a quick sand! 

20201113_184638.jpg

Edited by Purplesmart
1 person likes this

Damn it cylinder #1!!! Why can't you be like the others... 🙄. Also, sudden realization here... There was 2 f**ken copper seals in this injector port! No wonder this injector was beyond stuck in the engine. This bugger is beyond stuck in there, gonna get a long M8 bolt as I've seen on some YouTube vids or try the flat screwdriver trick when I can go buy one tomorrow, not willing to pay much for a tool to remove one seal. But damn, looking at the previous photo I knew that bloody washer came off with this injector. What kind of mechanic worked on this vehicle previous to me?!? Other 2 ports are nice and clean, ready for injector install, just need to wait until tomorrow when I can get something to get this seal out and clean this port all nice and shiny like the others

20201113_230039.jpg20201113_225955.jpg

As for what grease to use, I'd use some never seize around the injector body like what looks like someone else did before you, copper coloured goo down there , looks like never seize...imho.
As for getting that washer out, drop in a screwdriver to fill hole and see if a long flat screwdriver will bend the washer upwards after a good tape deforming it? If not do both sides and see if it'll cut it carefully  as not to dent the head material, I bet it's soft also.

Worst case synario would be a very long thin drill bit and carefully turn by hand maybe to slowly cut through the copper washer...?   But I'd be tapping that washer on both side 9 and 3 o'clock to force 12 and 6 o'clock to bend upwards then fish it out?

Injectors are all pretty clean after a couple cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner! Ended up just using silver anti-seize and got everything all put back together. List one of the retainer clips for the return line, so made a trip to Richmond Mercedes, those things are as valuable as gold.... $7.24 before taxes each. Car runs far better than it did, acceleration has a ton more pep, idle is nice and smooth. Looking forward to seeing how this has impacted fuel economy too and can't wait for those new nozzles to come in.

20201114_115901.jpg20201114_115934.jpg20201114_152522.jpg

Nice job, amazing how well that sonic cleaner works eh......no way you'd get them as clean any other way imho.  You should soak them again after you get your new nozzles by dismantling them carefully to get to the inner tracks as i bet they require some cleaning also. I'll be interested in how well the old nozzles work when you push some fluids through them when you replace them for the new ones. A comparisn would be nice to see or hear about. Even if just by shooting fluids down the nozzles with a carb cleaner spray can.  The new nozzles will blast out 5 separate streams and you'll be lucky to get that many with the old nozzles. I bet. $ streams will all be at the same angle and the last one will go in a different direction aiming closer to the top of the cylinder I think.

That's the plan for when the new nozzles come in. Placing the nozzleless injector body's and associated components in for another hour long soak.

Will definitely do a little vid on the old vs new spray pattern, I'm actually really curious to see the difference as well tbh, but totally willing to share on the forum here. 

Bonus to doing the pre cleaning the last couple days is that the injectors will just slide right out when removing them again which will be nice! Lol

Thanks again for the input and advice, super appreciated as I learn working on these little cars. 

Did you find something to hold onto all the small bits while you soak them, like a tea leave strainer I use?

Just glad I can help someone with whatever knowledge I have on the subject.  

I don't understand why this hasn't been done years ago to help with the running of these cars...? Even just the act of sonic cleaning if we couldn't get nozzles back then...?