Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cookiee

Smart Roadster 2004 key symbol showing

4 posts in this topic

I have smart roadster 04, 11k driven only. The issue started couple of months ago and i read few forums but i couldn't get a clue. I have made up a video as well on YouTube so you guys can understand the issue. Here is the link. 

The key symbol is popping up on meter and key buttons not working. I live in South East Asia and here is no dealership available for Smart cars. Pls advice if anyone went through this experience. Really appreciate. Thank you

It sounds like the battery in the key fob is dead.  Have you tried replacing it?  If the key fob battery is dead, the key may need to be reprogrammed to match the car.

He says he replaced the fob battery.

Check voltage of new battery, yes you can buy a dead battery....it happens.  Doubt it but you never know unless you check with meter.

Next take fob apart and carefully look at the little switches that you push to see if they have fallen apart. I have seen them do this. IF so you'll require someone with a STAR system to reprogram new keys for you. IF you have no dealerships there you need to either find a shop who uses the STAR diagnostic system to work on mezedes benz vehicles to get new fobs programed to your car. The STAR system is designed to work on all MB vehicles including SMART cars.  It's the only way. OR build up your own STAR system by buying a M3 multiplexer of Ebay or Amazon and the laptop required to allow it to operate. In Canada it costs over $400 to get a key programed at a dealership so it may be cheaper to build a STAR system after such an expensive bath at a dealership. Sad to say!  It's why I built mine.  3 or 4 trips to a dealership for simple issues would easily pay for the STAR system. Plus then if you wish you can help others for a small fee to help re-coop the cost?
You can buy new fobs off Amazon or Ebay also but they need to be programed. Far cheaper than the dealership also. Buy a good one not the cheapest as the quality won't be there with the cheap ones. I have both and there is a definate difference between the two.  OR if you can find a set of keys from a wrecked Smart of the same vintage maybe those fobs would work after being reprogramed?
I tell everyone who owns Smarts other than the diesel versions we use here in Canada to also go to Evilution.uk.co and pay their smallest donation so you can get to the best information from that site. It's worth every penny.....seriously. It's in England and they have far more Roadsters than we do here.  Good luck and keep us informed on your problem.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Willys said:

He says he replaced the fob battery.

I didn't see that in the original post and my sound wasn't working on the video.