Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
btjtaylor

Clutch slipping - actuator already fully extended!

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have a 2003 Smart 450 (petrol) with just over 60k miles

The clutch has started to "slip" when driving, particularly noticeable when cold. Over-revs slightly on gear changes and isn't setting off as smoothly as it used to (it's basically like having a learner driver controlling the gears!).

I read online that there's an actuator under the rear of the car that can be adjusted (and then possibly needs fine tuning with a computer), however i've had a look and there's no more movement available - the actuator is already fully adjusted "towards" the gearbox within the range of adjustment, if that makes sense

Is replacing the clutch the required option now?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the site 
No you can undo or remove the actuator and clean and then replace it and adjust it further towards the transmission to adjust the length of the throw so to speak. It only requires a FIRM pressure against the clutch fork to work. While you have it off, peek inside and see if the rod hasn't damaged the clutch fork or punched a hole through it as it has been known to do. IF this has happened you have a few options, weld hole up, or, add a head of some sort onto the end of the actuator larger diameter than the hole, or simply replace clutch fork. 
Research out all clutch actuator threads and you'll see how easy it is to adjust it. BUT, first do yourself a favor and clean and lube it well before reinstalling it.

Again.....welcome to the site.

I believe the only way adjustment is going to help with a slipping clutch is if the actuator is too tight.  Now if the engagement is not smooth then yes look at the fork for punch through.

Nigel

1 person likes this

all the way toward clutch doesnt sound right at all 

clutch wear will generally result in the opposite (fork sits more towards transmission as friction plate wears )

something is really wrong in there