Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartduNord

3 death bars - no revup while driving after braking

7 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I have the three death bar are on, everything works fine. Suddenly, the three bars goes back to the number when I'm down speeding for a few seconds and after a shift or two, it then return to the three bars. At this moment I loose my pedal and no revolution goes up. Actually, I'm on the road and I lose all my power, so it is kind of dangerous. After putting it at neutral, shutting the engine off and starting it again, it goes work (it may take 2 to 4 times before it works).

Anyone see how the immobilizer is getting activated or even disactivated by restarting?

I'll go on with checking and greasing the actuator as well as the pedal connection. Any other clue? I have two rear light to change and it seem that it might cause the three bars. Otherwise I have heard that changing the gear console should fix this, but with a 1000$ new or 200$ used, I still don't trust that. At Mercedes, which is 150 km away, they only ask to scan it...

Great car, but the maintenance problems arising are beginning to be high for an 160000km car. 

Update: 

I have checked the pedal wires and made the greasing maintenance on the actuator. The actuator connector was somewhat rusty so I cleaned and greased it. I also taped it to avoid humidity to get in...

On the road test yesterday, it tended to do the same thing (going back to numbers while decelerating) but as I was slow on the pedal, it could come back to the three bars without losing rev up. 

Would it be only a connector thing?

Did you take the actuator off and see if there is a hole in the clutch fork?

Posted (edited) · Report post

The clutch fork has been rebuild with an extended head. The hole would be in the receiving part of the transmission? There is a depression, but not a hole. The shifting is going smoothly, I had problems with that before. 

Edited by SmartduNord

Maybe check the wiring for the gear selector motor where it passes by the inter cooler scoop as that is a place where it gets rubbed and shorts or looses it's power?
Some people have issues with their brake pedal switch causing issues another place to check for bad wiring. Maybe?

To correctly diagnose this or any issue someone who owns a STAR machine like the dealership uses is the best way to help you. That is what the dealership says by saying they need to scan your car. They will hook it up to their STAR system and tell you right away what your problem is.....then charge you an arm and a leg to fix it!   IF you can get to the dealership or someone who also owns a STAR that is the best way to find the fault, then take it home and fix it yourself.  OR you can spend the money on making your own STAR system and never need the dealership again except to buy the parts you can't find elsewhere.  You also can not change the immobilizer without the STAR to reprogram the new one into your car's electrical system. I bet all cars are the same now a days...so singling out the SMART for this isn't right. Yes it is a serious pain solving issues in newer cars the SMART isn't any different than any other make I bet.  If you plan on keeping the car then the cost of a STAR system is not a bad investment as you can always sell it afterwards to another Smart owner.  Research them and what it takes and see if it's something you are willing to spend on.  As I said above, it's the only way to deal with most serious electrical issues and also any replacement of any of the computer system items in the car.

Keep us informed .......always curious on how people make out and also solve their issues.

Update: Now everything works fine, I suspect it took dry weather or a few km for the car to figure out the connection was good with the actuator. I will see how it goes with the slush upcoming, it always had a link between slush and the three bars.

So I'm saving investment for now. 

15 hours ago, Willys said:

If you plan on keeping the car then the cost of a STAR system is not a bad investment as you can always sell it afterwards to another Smart owner. 

So a basic scanner from Canadian Tire would not work?

Where do we get that?

Thanks.

IF you are after a STAR system search it out on this site and I'm sure threads will show up and many have a list of the needed parts......M3-Multi-plexer no other....then the laptop to use with it.....and a cable to join the two together.  It's simple really just a bit expensive for most to warrant purchasing if they aren't sure they wish to keep the car. 

NO, no other scanner or system can do what the STAR system does. It is a MB shop tool and thus a very grey area to openly discuss etc etc....wink wink.    Sure some scanner will do some things but none get into the serious computer repairs related to the SMART.  IMHO  by the time you have paid for a good general scanner you are well on the way to getting a STAR system.  I think it will do most MB products also but can't say for sure because I have never tried to use it on one. But it shows all MB products in it's menu.  If you wish to try it on your other MB product that would be your risk to take.  But I see no reason why it wouldn't work..just not 100% sure.
The big issue is.....it works well for what you want but once it's done it's job and the car is running great you sit and think was it really worth the money spent.....that is until the next issue pops up and the STAR can easily deal with it. Where as a general scanner may not. BUT some scanner can do many things as some will state, but when it comes down to detailed issues the only fix is a STAR system. You have two choices, sorry 3....first is tow to the dealership and take vaseline, second is find someone who owns one near you and pay for their services etc or third buy your own and use it and also charge others for the use of it which will slowly pay for it.   One issue is key fobs....here the dealership wants $456 for each key fob and key....it takes me 10 minutes to program a key fob and at a fraction of the dealership price....you'll find many people need fobs reprogramed as they wear out.....so do the math....

It all up to each person as how they see the expenditure....pay now or keep paying until you get rid of the car.....not mentioning the headache it is to find someone with one and then getting your vehicle to them if they won't do a house call.