Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Haldex

[SOLVED] No communication with ESP, 3 bars, shifter wont shift out of park.

14 posts in this topic

Update solution in post #10

Morning, Maybe someone can point me in the right direction in search of my problem.

I did find this thread by @stickman007 which is basically what I have, but his is a 450. I didn't really understand what was issue, so maybe he can chime in if he has time. Maybe someone will point me in the right direction before I start a long dio path. Any help is much appreciated 

Car: 2009 Smart ForTwo Passion.

Symptoms: 

No communication with ESP

Won't Turn over( I hear a relay clicking when I try to start it)

Wont Shift out of park(Moves if I manually disengage the lock)

Won't complete transmission learn(I hear it starting it and something moving, but dont think it actually finishes it)

Brake lights don't work, but 3rd brake light works which tells me the brake switch works, but it doesn't disengage the shifter lock.

ECM Current Codes:

P0500 Speed Sensor 1 Has A Malfunction.

U0002 Drive Train CAN Bus OFF Fault

P0318 Open Circuit At Signal Path Rough Road Detection

TCM Current Codes:

P0500 Speed Of Driven Axle: Values Are Implausible.

P1600 Speed Of Non-driven Axle: Values Are Implausible

U0122 No Or Incorrect CAN Message From Control Unit N47-5 (ESP Control Unit)

P1800 Implausible Transmission Data

SAM Current Codes:

U1102 No Or Incorrect CAN Message From Control Unit N47-5 (ESP Control Unit)

IC Current Codes:

B1103 No Or Incorrect CAN Message From Control Unit N47-5 (ESP Control Unit)

EPS Current Codes:

C1501 No CAN Message 'Vehicle Speed' From Control Unit N47-5(ESP Control Unit).

C1504 No CAN Message 'Wheel Speeds' From Control Unit N47-5(ESP Control Unit).

C1502 No CAN Message 'Steering Angle Adaptation' From Control Unit N47-5(ESP Control Unit)

TPMS Current Codes:

C423 Implausible Data Were Received From ESP.

Edited by Haldex

Welcome to the site....

Stickman said something about a broken wire that signals the ECU from the SAM that he found that needed to be rewired straight from the SAM to the ECU....or something like that. Either a broken ground or signal wire.  Check all your grounds especially the engine to frame ground in the engine bay. Check all SAM connections, and ECU connections and pins(ECU holds a capacitor charge so accidentally shorting them will destroy your ECU)ask me how I know...! Check your reluctor rings on each axle next to rear wheel backing plates. Then check their sensors.  
Is the battery reading 12.7 volts? I must be to power up car. 
Silly question when trying to shift out of park is your foot on brake pedal and key turned on?

Starter issues? Bad spade connector signalling power to starter solinoid? OR burnt main wire running from solinoid to actual starter motor?

Seems to me that there is plenty of EPS related codes ?

Check clutch actuator and clutch fork for punched through issue? Is the actuator adjusted correctly?  Are the wires going to the transmission gear selector worn through where they run past the inter cooler scoop?

Plenty to search for...sorry.  But Stickman is a good start to ask these types of questions to after a bit of searching for yourself first.  Plenty of threads about each of these mentioned topics I think ....here and also over on Evilution.uk.co and while there pay for their lowest donation, it's highly worth every penny.....if you want to learn about your smart. All technical no chatting there.  Specific questions will be answered there when he has time and people are polite asking etc etc....he refuses to answer folks who aren't polite so to speak....as he should do..imho.  Just a heads up. He is a great guy. Willing to help anyone .....but he is busy.

There are a few other sites with good info, some easy to find  and some not.  Do an indepth search and see what you find....but we'll do our best to help when we can here.

Edited by Willys

Battery is OK, good solid 12+ volts?  Need to check grounding points as a start - smarts are sensitive to any electrical faults.  The ESP codes might be a bad reluctor ring - but that shouldn't keep the car from starting.  Any changes since the last time the car started normally?  :)

42 minutes ago, jwight said:

Battery is OK, good solid 12+ volts?  Need to check grounding points as a start - smarts are sensitive to any electrical faults.  The ESP codes might be a bad reluctor ring - but that shouldn't keep the car from starting.  Any changes since the last time the car started normally?  :)

Ya, I swapped the battery out and even put a jump pack on it. My biggest question is why the shifter is locked... 

Another piece of information I discovered is that when I try to do a clutch relearn or engage any transmission components I keep getting the message "Engine Must Not Run And Must Not Be Started". Using a Launch Pro diagnostic tool. Not sure if its giving me an error or what because it won't get past that page when I try to use any of those functions. 

NVM, looks like STAR shows the same messages. Will continue looking.

Edited by Haldex

Are the wheels off the ground? I had an issue that I needed to turn a wheel to get the transmission shift drum to move before it would reteach my transmission....after a rebuild. I used some grease that hindered the drum shift forks from moving easily at first but after they moved it was perfect. It then easily retaught the transmission. Not saying you have the same issue but maybe the drum forks got slightly jammed etc somehow? Turning one wheel freed it up..?  Just a thought?

Then, there is another system that is capable of teaching the transmission other than a STAR...?  Interesting...

46 minutes ago, Willys said:

Are the wheels off the ground? I had an issue that I needed to turn a wheel to get the transmission shift drum to move before it would reteach my transmission....after a rebuild. I used some grease that hindered the drum shift forks from moving easily at first but after they moved it was perfect. It then easily retaught the transmission. Not saying you have the same issue but maybe the drum forks got slightly jammed etc somehow? Turning one wheel freed it up..?  Just a thought?

Then, there is another system that is capable of teaching the transmission other than a STAR...?  Interesting...

They are on the ground,but that wont help as the shifter lock is not disengaging. I have several 451's I can compare to and if you put your hand on the side of the center console and press the brakes, you feel is engage and disengage. I do not feel that on this one. Might throw a new brake switch in there...

Removed the SAM and took it apart and found absolutely nothing. All joints are perfect and the boards show no damage at all. One down, a lot more to go... 

@Haldex Welcome to the club!

I think your issue might be a bit different than mine in that I caused the no communication to ESP by swapping a different ECU/cluster/SAM combo while troubleshooting for the 3 bar issue. If you have ESP communication issues without doing any modifications of your own, then that's where I would start. Your ESP maybe preventing your transmission from doing its job.

Not to be condescending (I see this everyday at work)...basic t/s, have you check fuses => ALL fuses (sometimes different systems are interdependent). I would also disconnect the ECU, cluster, SAM connectors to look for corrosion, terminals with possible low pin drag, and obviously if they're connected securely.

I solved my 3-bar issue by mapping all the pins between the ECU and SAM - ended up finding a open wire from SAM to ECU (that wire tells the ECU to turn on the transmission power relay). I'm not familiar with the 451, but I can do some research and maybe help you map out the wiring if you want.

Izzy

1 hour ago, stickman007 said:

@Haldex Welcome to the club!

I think your issue might be a bit different than mine in that I caused the no communication to ESP by swapping a different ECU/cluster/SAM combo while troubleshooting for the 3 bar issue. If you have ESP communication issues without doing any modifications of your own, then that's where I would start. Your ESP maybe preventing your transmission from doing its job.

Not to be condescending (I see this everyday at work)...basic t/s, have you check fuses => ALL fuses (sometimes different systems are interdependent). I would also disconnect the ECU, cluster, SAM connectors to look for corrosion, terminals with possible low pin drag, and obviously if they're connected securely.

I solved my 3-bar issue by mapping all the pins between the ECU and SAM - ended up finding a open wire from SAM to ECU (that wire tells the ECU to turn on the transmission power relay). I'm not familiar with the 451, but I can do some research and maybe help you map out the wiring if you want.

Izzy

Thanks for getting back to me. Yup, all fuses were checked all the SAM taken apart to look for broken solder joints.

Little discovery has been made. My roof controls stopped working as well. I was outside the car and pushed the roof button on the keyfob and it opened up, but now it wont go back up. Controls from the inside do not work nor the fob. 

Also while looking at transmission data I found this:

https://yadi.sk/i/T05HX_DPNZUFcg

https://yadi.sk/i/zxUhR3kVDCheHQ

From the looks of it, the car seems to think it is moving. Could explain why the roof doesn't work. ..

Update:

Checked the same data page on another 451 and see this:

https://yadi.sk/i/h0D4N98Os9--yw

https://yadi.sk/i/xIDUyiycAvye4Q

All the speed values are at 0 UNTIL i turn off the ignition and they all revert to the numbers that you see in the first set. I think that's the default numbers it displays when it cannot communicate with ESP.

It looks like ESP is the cause of all my issues. Wish I could upload pics more than 2mb.

Edited by Haldex

UPDATE:

Problem solved. Started examining the harness that goes to the ESP. Found a broken wires... Looks like someone ran over something and crushed a couple of wires.

Repaired the wires, performed a transmission relearn + clutch relearn and BAM like new. Everything works, no codes. Crazy that if the ESP gets no power even the sunroof doesn't work... Thanks everyone <3 <3 <3

Pics of broken wires:

https://yadi.sk/i/rJhU4bhEE47NJA

https://yadi.sk/i/kDBDG3ZZjHIUsA

Edited by Haldex
4 people like this

What no belly pan...?   Seems very rusty under there if it had one...?  Glad you found the issue.  Always fun eh...lol

8 minutes ago, Willys said:

What no belly pan...?   Seems very rusty under there if it had one...?  Glad you found the issue.  Always fun eh...lol

Has one, but It's in pieces. 150k miles in New England will do that.

LOL...same with Ontario if you play hard in the winter...lol