atlantisdriver

Connect cord TO block heater

11 posts in this topic

Have a 2006 diesel bought new but never spent a pre-covid winter in the north. Came with the block heater cord so assuming it has a block heater? How does cord connect to block heater? 

IF it has one it'll most likely be a stick on unit on the oil pan and wired or plugged into a connection behind the battery in the battery well.  I think as both my 2005 are this way. IF it doesn't have the stick on heating pad on the bottom of your oil pan or any wiring going backwards it's not that difficult to do the install. Even Canadian Tire could get this job done, maybe....but I may wonder if they would snap off a few belly pan bolts....as I bet they will be rusted in their plastic fitting. Sorry for the worrisome news. It definately isn't a dealership job just to settle your wallet worries..! The heating pads are cheap around the $100 mark last time I checked and it shouldn't take more than an hour's labor to install one. 
Good luck and welcome to winter...lol.
Oh and Canadian Tire actually sells a version of the heating pads.....may not be the best but they should work.
IF you have the plug in the battery well already, you can install a 3 way plug connector and then set a ceramic heater on the floor somewhere away from anything flamable and let that run on low to help keep the interior warm if you use a timer for a few hours before you wish to use car. I wouldn't leave heat pad/oil pan heater running all night as I had one burn up last winter as I think I left it running all night.  You don't need it to run all night as they get seriously hot and will do their job in a few hours tops! So the ceramic heater will take the nip out of the inside also in that time I'm sure. I stuck mine onto a flat board to make sure it didn't fall over even if it has a failsafe turn off if it does tip over...always thinking ahead.  This combination works well. Also if you wish you can get a battery blanket to help protect your battery.  Now all three issues are delt with...All things done by CTC if you choose them to do it all.....at most a 2 hour job....but I expect they wouldn't do the interior heater simply from a libility stance...but they will sell it to you.

OH, I'm not sure but is Looselugnuts close to you...if so he may be interested in doing this for you....and he knows Smarts well.  Worth a PM imho.

i dont even know where sioux lookout is lol

anyway i think 2006 had factory option for block heater...if it has one it will be hear the clutch actuator...its a weird looking external element thing near to where the trans bolts to the engine...youll be able to see the cord if it has one...and the cord will plug into the socket near the battery as mentioned above

long story short the cord plugs into a connector on the lower left front below the grill....then the connector goes to an extension cord type plug in near the battery...then if you have a factory block heater or an aftermarket one it will be plugged into that cord...some people use the power cord for interior heaters to pre-clear the windows instead of using to preheat the engine

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Hey buddy, yep just around the corner from you....lol

https://goo.gl/maps/j57Xw2ULsESEw4pM8

Damn no wonder he disappears for the winter months.....I bet he gets real snow up there!   OR already has it now.....augh!

I might be in the market for a sled  or a Bombadier not a engine heater....WOW...!

I'd love to see pics of how bad it gets.....would make my winter so much more enjoyable....sorry couldn't resist!....lol.

Edited by Willys

16 hours away ...hes almost just as close to you 

personally i think the worst snow places are down south by huron ..especially the barrie area ....and the superior corridor between ssm and wawa

Edited by LooseLugNuts

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

16 hours away ...hes almost just as close to you 

personally i think the worst snow places are down south by huron ..especially the barrie area ....and the superior corridor between ssm and wawa

I get almost the same snow as Barrie when it does snow good, being on the bottom eastern corner of Lake Simcoe.....it is in the direct path from Huron through Barrie then over me.  But so far no snow blower action...told you I'd not get any since buying new blower....lol.

Pretty sure he'll not drive 16 hours for a block heater etc...lol.   There must be a mechanic up there somewhere....no offence to the Sioux Lookout members....

I have taken a few photos and you can find them below this text.  Shows the location of the original heater plug at the front of the car and my version of a cabin heater.  ( It's called a "Little Buddy" )  The cabin heater is plugged into the female outlet under the Styrofoam in the battery well.

Smart Plug.jpg

Smart Heater.jpg