ozca2

Diesel fuel leak fom High pressure pump solenoid.

13 posts in this topic

I have just finished rebuilding my 2006 cdi high pressure fuel pump and after installing it ran the engine for a few minutes to determine if there were any leaks. The HP pump looked fine but after a few minutes there was a leak just like before the rebuild, the leak is from the solenoid. The rebuild o'ring pack did not include the solenoid o'ring so reused the old one.....too bad as that was likely the original leak issue.

After spending a considerable amount of time trying to remove the solenoid without dismantling the entire job again. As you all know it is difficult to work on this little beast, I needed room to work on removing the two allen and one torx screws from the solenoid. By unbolting the rear x frame I was able to make enough room to work on removing the solenoid screws. 

Can anyone please explain how to properly install the solenoid with a new o'ring. Do you put the o'ring on the solenoid small groove first then gently insert it into the pump cylinder head? Or do you insert the o'ring into the cylinder head first?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by ozca2

O rings are easy to fit but your main problem wil be to fit the tiny metal seal ring in correct place.

Best way forward in my humble opinion is to remove pump and start all over.

Hi Tolsen,

The pump itself is working fine with no leaks anywhere and the engine starts and runs "beautifully" but the leak is coming from the solenoid base ( as I understand it, this solenoid is supposed to control when all 3 cylinders fire or only two  under light load) there is a green o'ring that seals the solenoid base into the cylinder head.and it is retained by three screws,

Our only Mercedes dealer cannot supply the o'ring... onty a new pump! Perhaps the o'ring comes with a new solenoid. They have to back order most Smart parts.. So, today I will try some local parts stores for the Viton o'ring.and failing that the simplest answer seems to be make up a plate and gasket to replace the @#$% solenoid.

1 person likes this

Hi Sydney, Not far from Sydney. NS ! about 78km  down the 105.

I was not able to locate a suitable o'ring  so am trying to download a Smart parts manual from emanualonline dotcom and try to get a part number for the o'ring  and the solenoid.

Take a picture of exactly what you need and I'll check to see if my kit has this part. I just rebuilt a pump and used two kits.....so may have what you are looking for.  Fingers crossed.

It's there....you only need 6 of the 7 seals on the right, one is smaller than the others and that is it...I think.

23 hours ago, ozca2 said:

Hi Sydney, Not far from Sydney. NS ! about 78km  down the 105.

I was not able to locate a suitable o'ring  so am trying to download a Smart parts manual from emanualonline dotcom and try to get a part number for the o'ring  and the solenoid.

message me your number.   i'll give you a call.

ebay has a few

seems expensive though if you just need the o ring

is there no hydraulics businesses in your area?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BOSCH-Injection-System-Fuel-Cut-Off-For-0928400323/164363292806?

that o ring appears to be a fat style like is used on many fuel injectors 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I have two, one good used and a new one...  Used is green and new is brownish...

Let me know..?

1 person likes this

Hi All, and thanks Willys.

I'm back. Sorry but have been busy with working on my home getting ready to sell and had a few health issues as well. Have parked the Smart for now.

Anyhow, about the %$#@ Smart cdi fuel pump leaking, I have jacked it up as high as the jack will go and supported on stands. removed everything to enable access to the pump solenoid, was able to remove it and found a suitable O'ring at an industrial supply store, refitted the solenoid with a little Permatex gasket cement and ran the engine but still leaking very slowly from the CYLINDER HEAD gasket, not the solenoid !! Apparently it was n't the solenoid leaking.

Seems like I'll have to remove the pump again and redo the one cylinder. When I dismantled the pump for the rebuild I noticed that it must have been rebuilt before using some hardened sealant on the gaskets and the little steel ferrule making it difficult to remove. I think if I rebuild that one cylinder it will be ok.

So, Willys, do you have enough seals to rebuild the one cylinder, I also need a couple of the cylinder head bolts.

Regards,

Ozca2