Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phoreman

Lifted Smart

18 posts in this topic

There has been several changes to the 06 Smart .

Its been a busy summer and theres still more to do.

The tires are now, all on rear rims and the fronts were/are a little tight, but work.

NOKIAN WR G4 205/65R15 = 25.5x8.1R15

The lift was a little tricky and still needs more attention.

Daystar KS09101BK 2-Inch Front and Rear Suspension Lift Kit

Tunes were a learning process and always fun, especially when the neighbours look at be funny.

Increase fuel limitations

Fuel rail pressure increased

Flattened the EGR

Increased Boost pressure, w/DTC instant heal. (Unable to read past 18.1 - thats next)

Changed Shifting @ km/h map up-shift was increased by 13.4% and down-shift was decreased by 13.4%. This number was a starting point for the increase of tire size. Seems to keep the motor with a higher RPM when up-shifting, keeping in the bottom power band.

Theres more but one bit at a time....

Thanks all, Cheers!

130042190_798315991123698_8570411808987561274_n.jpg

130217040_377553369990925_4180531367623471958_n.jpg

130256248_1949253928550553_8805841319784388636_n.jpg

130273507_234326038044459_4204710076427610416_n.jpg

130301497_1858189504328081_7744410784273190257_n.jpg

130301501_212345063749822_4901090255776070555_n.jpg

130303023_711647806155694_425760967142823752_n.jpg

130605504_1065358837225035_5846098945431467252_n.jpg

130735261_751315962141160_3167723576871655955_n.jpg

1 person likes this

i like the look

not so sure id like the pressure on the wheel bearings but at least theyre easy to change

also keep in mind that atv rims are not rated for road use ..a good mto inspector will spot them a mile away 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Take a pic of the car with the 4 lug tires and wheels on it please....Not a fan of those ATV tires at all, but...?  Also don't be cutting up that bronze body work....AUGH...!   I'll trade you some steam green perfect body panels for those bronze ones...if you want.  I'll save me from painting a set bronze...lol.

I have the same lift kit on a shelf waiting.....one day maybe.  I want the larger softer side walled tires to help soak up the pot holes etc on gravel roads.

Keep at it.

What issues have you found with the lift kit?

On 12/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, LooseLugNuts said:

i like the look

not so sure id like the pressure on the wheel bearings but at least theyre easy to change

also keep in mind that atv rims are not rated for road use ..a good mto inspector will spot them a mile away 

TY,

The fitment is whats stopping me (primarily, working on that and looking for rims)

The tires are approved and a nice 8ply radial.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, Willys said:

Also don't be cutting up that bronze body work....AUGH...!   I'll trade you some steam green perfect body panels for those bronze ones...if you want.  I'll save me from painting a set bronze...lol.

What issues have you found with the lift kit?

Sorry, the body had damage on it already and so there has been cutting started.

Issues with the lift kit... 

Springs, the 05/06 springs are different from the 08 and the kit was designed around the 08+ (need those springs)

Rear shock extensions don't quite fit, I had to trim my tabs a little. Its better to have a larger shock and thats what I will do instead.

Front struts, get a clamp for them, they spin like a MotherFR and pissed me right off.

Oh and the big issue... the rear cross member may nee to be trimmed. It rubs up so slightly against the rear diff...

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 11.06.01 AM.png

AUGH....!!!!!!!!

lol...

The best way to gain more lift now is to simply add taller spacers to the steering mounting and longer strut extension etc....but in the rear simply add spacers between the sub frame, leave the suspension alone as imho the angle of the half shafts will soon destroy themselves maybe...?  Making up a clamp for the stuts is easy so to speak. A simple block of aluminium drilled out a few sizes smaller than the strut shaft and 4 threaded clamping bolts. It still takes forever to install this clamp each time but at least the shaft doesn't turn at all.  I have a large adjustable wrench that easily fits over the block to hold it.  Hope this helps.

Too bad about the doby damage.....it's my favorite colour. I am thinking of simply repainting mine that colour. 

Those 8 ply tires won't give you much added comfort as the side ways will be far stronger than the weight of the car etc. That is if you were after a softer ride. Unless you drop the pressures down , way down....then you'll win.

The stiff side walls will allow better cornering when at higher pressures and then allow you to gain height and maybe softer ride without the valve core installed..lol.   I bet you could run them flat at low speeds..lol.   I'm an old OFF -ROADer....did the same type of things with Super Swampers on a flat fender.

I cut the shock mounts off and made new ones and located them so they wouldn't rub, simply rewelded them in place. Did the same after removing the kit. I made a copy of the store bought kit, it worked well until the shocks started beating against the harder plastic spacers I made and didn't install rubber quietening spacers. The kit uses softer materials so it shouldn't bang when you go over bad pot holes I imagine.  Mine sounded in the end of it's short trial life span like a machine gun firing as i drove down the Gateneau streets due to so many pot holes.  That was the sole reason I removed mine and bought the correct kit.  I just do not want to install it again until i have tires sitting here waiting.

I could drive my clamp down if you were wanting it for a day's use?  IF you work in a garage that is...lol.  I'm old and afraid of the cold weather now....lol.

Oh, she has been done for months... fun little (big) car.

The larger tires that are a daily are the NOKIAN WR G4 205/65R15 = 25.5x8.1R15. That was an size increase of +13.4%

That causes the speedo and shift speed to be off... and without changing gear ratios (no option I know of).

Soooo ... that being said, I've been working on with (here comes the plugOldSkull Tuning and he has been very helpful.

The description file has been easy to use with (here comes another plug) TunerPro.

The guy believes giving the power to the user/driver with minimal cost.

I've made some changes with success.

MOD.png

OEM.png

Edited by phoreman
accident submit

I think it needs to be flipped... And subtract 13% from those values with the larger tires..

Not even comming close to 6th gear

But it seems to stay on the power band.

Guess that's not a good idea.

Interesting...!     Brain is saying don't look but eyes have already peeked...lol.   AUGH...!

I want to practice on the beater after the good car is back on the road, not before, having two down vehicles isn't in the plans...lol

1 minute ago, Willys said:

Interesting...!     Brain is saying don't look but eyes have already peeked...lol.   AUGH...!

I want to practice on the beater after the good car is back on the road, not before, having two down vehicles isn't in the plans...lol

thats why you buy 3 LOL

24 minutes ago, phoreman said:

thats why you buy 3 LOL

I did...!

Chopped one to bits to keep it down to a hideable size, rebuilding the one and driving the last one...lol.

And now I'm seeing possible lifting successes.....augh!

Killing my third now... wife isn't happy. But when I told her the cost of injectors she put her head down and walked away.

6 minutes ago, phoreman said:

Killing my third now... wife isn't happy. But when I told her the cost of injectors she put her head down and walked away.

What are you keeping from it?  There are plenty of useful bits for possibly use. depending upon what you need so to speak.

What roof is on it?

I want a good glass roof and the interior molding roof stuff.  Just to get rid of the sun roof off my beater maybe next summer.

I planned on keeping all of the parts, but concentrated on motor ecu sam etc parts are not cheap.

Some of the interior parts are great replacements for my 05 ... but we can talk.

1 person likes this

51 minutes ago, phoreman said:

I planned on keeping all of the parts, but concentrated on motor ecu sam etc parts are not cheap.

Some of the interior parts are great replacements for my 05 ... but we can talk.

I junked the sub frame and cage as I have plenty of parts already. But yes kept all the expensive bits and all the bodywork as it has the clever-end on it. That was the only reason to buy it.....other than increase the pack-rat styling in my garage....almost a hoarder now....lol.

16 hours ago, phoreman said:

STOP KILLING THEM.  lol.    they have to be saved.  

1 person likes this