brd

Microlino - A Potential smart Replacement?

10 posts in this topic

FYI 

https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

This is an electric true city car. Base price is €12,000 with top speed of 90 km/h. Summer driving range is 200km or 120km depending upon battery option. Can be charged in four hours by plugging into a regular wall outlet in Europe.

The design is inspired by the European bubble cars of the 50’s except those were three wheelers whereas this one is a four wheeler. You get in from the front of the car. Supposedly you can fit three of these into a regular parking spot. The “trunk” space of 220 litres is roughly the same as the Smart Fortwo.

They are hoping to start manufacturing Turin at some point in 2021. Microlino is a Swiss family business. An Italian family owned company CECOMP is the production & development partner. I would doubt we’ll ever see these in North America due to crash testing requirements.

0B91DBEA-2B8F-4937-9045-E25CFF8A4743.png

3B6FA13D-5F42-4A4D-B262-C6254BBEAD51.jpeg

DBE42065-B4F6-4613-AA3B-2AE2310FFFB6.png

1FEC7DD3-5341-4B3E-894E-A69DEC0BE2B2.jpeg

A6D97301-9D9C-4216-B028-4DFEF47E4012.jpeg

Edited by brd
Typo

I nearly bought it's inspiration...an Iseta.....when living in England.    Many centuries ago now...lol.

Hmmmm.....I can do without the modern lighting etc.....should have the original light looks to be more agreeable imho.    Great city vehicle...but very few will buy it here I bet....just not something a North America-n would be seen driving I bet!

Neat though....

I've been following this from the original version (since replaced by what you see above.)  As yet, no indication they intend to offer it in North America. :)

7 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i really cant see how it could possibly pass crash test minimums

IF they keep dropping the speed limits in the cities and built up areas to walking speeds I'm sure a wet paper bag would pass the crash test safety limits...lol.  Besides.....it'll thin the herd of incompetent drivers seeing as they are multiplying faster than pythons in Florida it seems...lol.   Common sense needs to be replaced with technological distractions inside vehicles anyway IMHO....  Time to bring back stick shifts, clutch peddles and no electric anything so people have to work to drive and not need to entertain themselves while driving a vehicle that almost drives itself.!!
We also do not need vehicles that produce more HP than a space shuttle to fetch their groceries....yep...I can't believe I said it but it's true...lol

'' The design is inspired by the European bubble cars of the 50’s except those were three wheelers whereas this one is a four wheeler ''

BMW Isetta.jpg

BMW Isetta

2 people like this

The Isetta did actually have for wheels but rear wheels were spaced close together as seen in below photo.

800px-BMW_Isetta_300_shot_in_Bad_T%C3%B6

Interestingly, this car had a combined starter dynamo, not too dissimilar to the Smart MHD.

I think, if today I were to source a new city car, I would go for the new Citroen Ami.

ami_one053.jpg

I sit corrected re: the # of wheels on an Isseta.

I just did a quick Google of the Citroen Ami. It’s a different beast as compared to the Microlino as it top speed is about 28-30mph and it’s range is a maximum of 47 miles. It only costs €6000 though as compared to the €12000 for a Microlino.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/citroen/ami

There is no intention to bring it to North America. I would guess that it has 0% probability of passing crash tests just like the Microlino.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:04 AM, Willys said:

Common sense needs to be replaced with technological distractions inside vehicles anyway IMHO....  Time to bring back stick shifts, clutch peddles and no electric anything so people have to work to drive and not need to entertain themselves while driving a vehicle that almost drives itself.!!

Common sense died years ago, as did common courtesy.  The lack of both on today's roads is proof.

It's so hard to find an affordable car these days that have a standard transmission (with clutch pedals.)

"no electric anything"  Surely, you mean electronic?  With no electrics, there would be no spark or lights ... Just an empty blob of assembled metal and plastic.

I detest all the useless "features" that some car manufacturers are promoting with gusto.  The self-parking, self-braking, approaching-from-the-rear-when-you're-about-to-open-the-door warning, lane deviation warning and self-driving features should be banned!  All of these things can be handled by someone in the driver's seat who is actually paying attention to the job at hand ... DRIVING!   When taking a driving test, is the 'driver' allowed to use the self-parking feature? 

On the subject of self-driving cars, should the operator of such a vehicle even need a license?  If they aren't driving, but merely a passenger who programs where they are going, then a license should not be needed.  If the vehicle is involved in an accident, who's to blame?  The manufacturer?

I agree that "some" conveniences should remain, such as automatics.  Certain people are not suited to drive a standard, but DO pay attention to the road and what's going on around them.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, brd said:

I sit corrected re: the # of wheels on an Isseta.

I just did a quick Google of the Citroen Ami. It’s a different beast as compared to the Microlino as it top speed is about 28-30mph and it’s range is a maximum of 47 miles. It only costs €6000 though as compared to the €12000 for a Microlino.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/citroen/ami

There is no intention to bring it to North America. I would guess that it has 0% probability of passing crash tests just like the Microlino.

that second one has enough material up front to probably pass if they build it like a smart