Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simon28

Higher fuel consumption

4 posts in this topic

I ask a lot of questions regarding the potential problem I have on my Smart and thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. I learn a lot by reading on this forum.

Here is now a new problem that I have noticed for several days already. I read on another post that the use of injector cleaner to put in fuel is a good thing to do in Smart CDi.

But since I add this cleaner (while following the recommendations on the bottle), my fuel consumption is higher than usual.

I use to do 4.3 - 4.4 litre per 100km, but now I do 7 litre per 100km. Is it related to the cold winter weather? It seems to me very high for a few degrees below 0.

What do you think would be the points to check to restore my usual fuel consumption of 4.4 liters per 100km?
The fuel filter was changed last fall and I nerver ride over 105 km/hour on highway

Thanks again for your precious help

Simon

Hmmmm....check to see if your waste gate is moving freely....not normally the cause I expect but it started to make my car drink fuel in those numbers and I normally sit at 3.5 not 7 plus.  It was stating to get stiff and seized.  I would also be going after new nozzles not just using the cleaner in the fuel.  How much are you adding per tank? If I recall correctly I used 50 ml per tank full. It was a very little amount compared to what normal sized engines ask for ....v6 and v8's ....lol.

There are a few threads about sonic cleaning your injectors and installing new nozzles with a link I believe to where to buy the nozzles at a respectable price imho. Also if you take out your injectors and simply blast some cleaner through the nozzles you'll see the spray pattern of them. Perhaps one or more is semi plugged? Or has a bad spray pattern ...?  Just a thought..?

I have 3 other injector that I took out from another smart in the junkyard. 
i have removed the nozzle and cleaned them into my ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and degrease. When I spray wd40 from inside the nozzle, I got a good uniform spray pattern.

I took them off the junkyard smart to learn how it made. I paid 10$ each

do you know the torque the nozzle need when it’s time to re-install them on the injector?

on my Smart, the right injector is always wet with oil, from the top to down the head cavity. (Well, I think is oil. It might be fuel)

Maybe I should change this injector.

turbo is boosting at 16psi and I can move the waste gate easily with pliers. I had some WD40 on each pivot point.

I don’t have intercooler fan, do you think the air temperature is too high? 
I’ll also take a look at the fuel filter if there is any leak.

other then that, I don’t know what to verify

thanks again

Simon

I would change that wet injector as it may be sending far too much fuel into the cylinder and wetting the walls down similar to a gas engine....not sure if diesel works like gasolene as to washing the cylinder walls and ruining the bores by removing the oil.???

I'll look up what my manual states for torque numbers for the injectors tomorrow.   Did you do the leak back test on the injectors? The check using the plastic bottles to see if all the injectors are leaking the same and not too much...?   Again do a search and I'm sure it should show up, if not go to youtube and put in injector leak back test......scan through the many shop videos and find the one with a smoky, dark coloured  4 banger which looks very unprofessionally made...it shows this procedure imho the best.  IF you can't find it, I'll try tomorrow some time.