Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmj

Trickle charging

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have recommendations for a tricklecharger? I have a 2006 Smart Cabriolet Diesel and it has a battery that is only a couple of years old. The car hasn't had much use with the COVID situation and I've had to get CAA to boost it twice. When they did it most recently, they said the battery was fine and that the issue is non-use. They recommended a BatteryTender 1.7 v (not the .75) left on as long as I wasn't going to be driving it frequently. 

Does anyone else have experience with trickle charging a Smartie? I think there may be wires and a plug I can connect to the battery to make it easier to quickly connect and disconnect.

Thanks,

Calum

I have both a .75 amp and a 1.25 amp battery tender.  I’ve used both on cars that were parked for several months with success.  I mostly use them for my generator and lawn tractor but on those I only plug them in for about one day per month to top up. 

Nigel

Posted (edited) · Report post

personally i like the noco genius line of chargers...and they make good quality adapters you can leave connected instead of alligator clips 

but if youre parked outdoors you could simply use a small solar panel to keep it topped up 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I also have a Battery Tender trickle charger I used for my motorcycle over the winter months. I started using it for my smart I'm restoring but after removing the battery....I stopped using it. It is a new battery and hasn't showed any signs of dropping it's charge while out of the vehicle. BUT, when in the vehicle it would slowly very slowly drop, that is why I started using the Battery Tender.   They work very well.   All I know is that slower is better....lol.  Plus the motorcycle battery was zero maintenance and a gell cell....no vent.......we have a vent to expel fumes....that I would be careful about...?

I have used an Optimate 3 in the past.  It worked well for me.  It maintains the smart that is hibernating while the other one is in use.