5 posts in this topic

Our 05 ForTwo has been intently getting stuck between gears. Turning off the ignition multiple times, then it will be fine. It finally got bad enough, and I was able to diagnose it. I also finally have codes.

P1917-Over Current Cut Out

P2402-Transmission Blockage-Function Failure
P2403-Gear Shift Operation had to be Repeated.
P1925-B43 Gear Position Sensor

Reading multiple treads in here and other sites, I decided to look for wiring issues. I found the wire to a sensor on the end of a transmission to be worn through. This goes to, and I believe, a shaft speed sensor. (Any manuals I have access to don't have Smart Cars listed till 2008, so I can't ID it) 

The attachment is of the codes and wiring.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5X36vYbm6Jn1bE8fA

What do you use for manuals? I want code descriptions, flow charts and wiring diagrams. I can't locate a good aftermarket supplier. At work, we use IdentaFix, and Pro Demand, but they are American companies, and they don't acknowledge the Smart Car existed till 2008.

Welcome to the site, now your newest best manual as there isn't one worth buying....I know I have it, it's in German....lol.  Yes it is worth having but....yes it has pictures.
BUT....you'll soon find that there are many great people here who will and can help you out in almost any situation regarding the Smart Car....it's what they do...lol

As for the gear issue...try following the gear slection motor wiring where it crosses over the inter cooler scoop, many have chaffed through in this location.  Also check every grounding pin that you can find by taking each one apart and checking between the eye's for corrosion. Also the main grounding strap between engine and bodywork.   Then there is a long list of typical things we suggest to help make your Smart Car a better running machine.  Many corroded plugs, computers, solder joints.....you know, the fun stuff.....then you can check the clutch actuator for set up and also if it has starte to punch a hole through your clutch fork....?    Yep....fun and games fun and games...lol

Oh...again welcome to the best SMART CDI site around.

1 person likes this

Thanks, I wish I could read German;-)

As part of my diagnosis, leading up to my repair. I performed the clutch actuator relearn mechanically and with our SnapOn scan tool. 

All the wires were fine around the intercooler. I also did clean the grounds and replaced a rotten braided ground cable from the engine to the body. All didn't cure. 

My photo shows the wire worn through. On wet salty roads of Ontario, this caused havoc to the signal and confused the computer. After I repaired the wires, I'm able to drive through saltwater puddles and not worry. My daughter can now make it home. 

I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without past posts in this group. 👥 

Thanks, I wish I could read German;-)

As part of my diagnosis, leading up to my repair. I performed the clutch actuator relearn mechanically and with our SnapOn scan tool. 

All the wires were fine around the intercooler. I also did clean the grounds and replaced a rotten braided ground cable from the engine to the body. All didn't cure. 

My photo shows the wire worn through. On wet salty roads of Ontario, this caused havoc to the signal and confused the computer. After I repaired the wires, I'm able to drive through saltwater puddles and not worry. My daughter can now make it home. 

I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without past posts in this group. 👥 

1 person likes this

The wiring harness wore through at the right side, where it loops to go to the car harness. I fixed two wires. It shifts tremendous and is reliable. I find it shortly after I posted here. I forgot to inform you of my victory!

I took pictures but now I can't find them. The next time I have the car on a hoist I'll add them. 

2 people like this