agpc

My car (smart two coupe 2004) doesn't work

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I come here to ask for your help. I bought a smart coupe 2004 gasoline, and it happened to me several times that I couldn't get the car because I can't open the doors or else the security key icon appears and I can't do anything with the car. Usually a few days pass by and I can use it, but this time I can't.

I'm worried, I don't know if I should sell the car and buy another one or if it's something normal and that will work out. 
I was told that I had to call the tow truck for someone to "code" my keys again. 

Why does this happen? Should I sell the car?

Do you have more than one key?  I have one aftermarket (Chinese) key that seldom works anymore but my original smart key works fine.  So next time one key doesn’t work try the other.  If you determine it is the same key each time causing issues replace the circuit board inside the key and have the car programmed to accept the new key.

Nigel

Hey Nigel. I have and i tried but the second key doesn’t work anymore either. 

Have you changed the batteries in the remotes?

1 person likes this

Hmmmm...IF the key can get rid of the locked symbol at some point, then the key shouldn't need reprograming.....that needs a STAR system to do usually and will cost you large from a dealership. BUT, if it did open the car and get rid of the key symbol once it should do it again, so I'm with changing the key fob battery and possibly opening up the key fob to see what it looks like inside. Sometimes the little contacts in the fob come loose and fall apart. They can be repaired if you have the patience but if it is bad then yes you do need new keys programed. The contacts are micro switches so go with care!    

You could also put up a post asking for anyone in your area on the internet who can reprogram keys for a SMART privately.  At my local dealership they want $456 per key...insane!   For the cost of 2 keys you can build up your own STAR system!!!   The main reason I built up my own STAR...!  Think about it, it will pay for it'self in a hurry if you keep a smart car....just something to think about.

Yes Nigel i did. Yesterday i went to a key store to verify the battery and they both run ok.

Willys, it's my first car and i don't understand how to repair anything. I can ask a mechanic to see the key fob but it's weird because since i have two and neither the keys work.

What's a star system? I would like to program my keys, here in Portugal it's 55€ to program a key at the local dealership, it's not super expensive. But i keep wondering how many times i would need it and it worries me.

11 minutes ago, agpc said:

I would like to program my keys, here in Portugal it's 55€ to program a key at the local dealership, it's not super expensive.

That is dirt cheap....do it for one key to see if that fixes your problem. A small price to pay to see if it's going to be a much larger fix...imho.

IF you can't or do not want to fix your own car then getting a STAR won't help you that much. It is a diagnostic tool that the dealership uses to solve the issues with your car.  MB only...!   It's the only tool that works well on a Smart Car, others claim to be able to do things but nothing compared to the STAR system.  To learn more research it here on the site.

Again for 55 euro I'd try a key....then decide what to do with the car.   It also must have a good battery in the car to start it but if you can't get the locked ignition working then you are in deeper trouble maybe?   Remember you are working with a different vehicle than what we usually work on here. Most of use are into the diesel versions.....but the electronics may be the same , set up wise that is.

get a delphi 150e for $40

figure out how to install the cracked software

pays for itself on first use and is handy for airbag codes and abs if you dont already have a scantool for those 

Be careful having only one key programmed.  Some others will know better but when you add keys to the system does it not erase all keys not present.  Check with a local garage that services European cars, they may have the equipment to program the car to the keys.  Also a locksmith that does automotive work may also be able to help.

Nigel

2 hours ago, Willys said:

That is dirt cheap....do it for one key to see if that fixes your problem. A small price to pay to see if it's going to be a much larger fix...imho.

IF you can't or do not want to fix your own car then getting a STAR won't help you that much. It is a diagnostic tool that the dealership uses to solve the issues with your car.  MB only...!   It's the only tool that works well on a Smart Car, others claim to be able to do things but nothing compared to the STAR system.  To learn more research it here on the site.

Again for 55 euro I'd try a key....then decide what to do with the car.   It also must have a good battery in the car to start it but if you can't get the locked ignition working then you are in deeper trouble maybe?   Remember you are working with a different vehicle than what we usually work on here. Most of use are into the diesel versions.....but the electronics may be the same , set up wise that is.

Thank you i'm going to try it and see if it solves the problem but i'm worried about this investment, i confess. Thank you Willys for you kindness

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

get a delphi 150e for $40

figure out how to install the cracked software

pays for itself on first use and is handy for airbag codes and abs if you dont already have a scantool for those 

When i bought the second key thats what they used. Thats what they used for programming the keys right? Do you have one?

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Be careful having only one key programmed.  Some others will know better but when you add keys to the system does it not erase all keys not present.  Check with a local garage that services European cars, they may have the equipment to program the car to the keys.  Also a locksmith that does automotive work may also be able to help.

Nigel

Oh ok, i think they'll program both? Because it doesn't make sense if they only programmed one, right? 

I don't know anyone and because i'm a girl i feel that i get bullshit sometimes by my local mechanics, so I'm worried they're gonna fool me. 

I only said one key because if it doesn't start the car and you decide to get rid of it, you are only out the cost of one key. IF it does start the car then yes you should have spent the other money...it's a gamble.  Yes because you are a woman you will get taken  by many shops and mechanics....it's not right but it happens far too much!
Your problem is, what else do you know about this car? Does it run well enough when it's running? If so get 2 keys and risk it. IF it doesn't then you need to research exactly what the car is doing and what could possibly cause this issue or issues?  As I have said before, we mostly own 2005-2006 CDI versions of the Smart Car. So that is what we semi specialize in so to speak  on a daily basis imho.  There is a great technical site for just technical information but you must do the leg work and figure out what you need to look for on that other site. It's called Evilution.co.uk    it also doesn't have a chat area for questions, but the owner Kane will help if ....you have shown to have done the legwork to see if you can solve it yourself first...he's a great guy but ....lol.  He's a very busy guy also and has been questioned to death I expect so he doesn't answer all questions etc.  The site just is set up as a technical site , no chatting or discussion as we do here.  You will also find closer to your model and year there seeing as it's in England.  Canada didn't get all the Smart car available I don't think.
Hope this helps......decide what else could be wrong then if good enough spend on two keys as it is true once you re-program one key, the rest will not work. They all must be programed together.

3 hours ago, agpc said:

When i bought the second key thats what they used. Thats what they used for programming the keys right? Do you have one?

i dont think the keys get programmed

the car gets programmed to accept the key

i have no idea what someone may have used on your keys

i have one somewhere in my junk but my new computer doesnt have the software 

if you dont know what it is i think its better to just pay a dealer in your area to get it done

choosing a smart fortwo as your first car and not being a do-it-yourselfer is a bad idea 

4 hours ago, Willys said:

I only said one key because if it doesn't start the car and you decide to get rid of it, you are only out the cost of one key. IF it does start the car then yes you should have spent the other money...it's a gamble.  Yes because you are a woman you will get taken  by many shops and mechanics....it's not right but it happens far too much!
Your problem is, what else do you know about this car? Does it run well enough when it's running? If so get 2 keys and risk it. IF it doesn't then you need to research exactly what the car is doing and what could possibly cause this issue or issues?  As I have said before, we mostly own 2005-2006 CDI versions of the Smart Car. So that is what we semi specialize in so to speak  on a daily basis imho.  There is a great technical site for just technical information but you must do the leg work and figure out what you need to look for on that other site. It's called Evilution.co.uk    it also doesn't have a chat area for questions, but the owner Kane will help if ....you have shown to have done the legwork to see if you can solve it yourself first...he's a great guy but ....lol.  He's a very busy guy also and has been questioned to death I expect so he doesn't answer all questions etc.  The site just is set up as a technical site , no chatting or discussion as we do here.  You will also find closer to your model and year there seeing as it's in England.  Canada didn't get all the Smart car available I don't think.
Hope this helps......decide what else could be wrong then if good enough spend on two keys as it is true once you re-program one key, the rest will not work. They all must be programed together.

Thank you so much, you're very kind.  I'm going to research more and look up this website. I hope i find more answers. 

The only "problem" i have with it is this one. Only once the car stopped in the middle of a road but as far as it goes, its really good.

Again, thank you and have a great day.

36 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

if you dont know what it is i think its better to just pay a dealer in your area to get it done

choosing a smart fortwo as your first car and not being a do-it-yourselfer is a bad idea 

I was searching for delphi 150e in aliexpress and i think i found one. I will buy it and try. Thank you.

Me and my mother didn't know anyone to ask for advice so we did our best. It's not that i'm not a do-it-yourselfer, i just know my limits in this situation. I'm going to try tho but there's not much help on youtube and i don't know what to do.

Thanks anyway for replying to me and have patience. Have a great day.

If you have the desire to learn and get a little dirty then you too can own a Smart Car...lol...it's just they are very tightly packed work area related and thus hard to work on for us larger handed people. lol. Plus they are very electrically demanding knowledge wise, so why I own 2 is beyond me!..lol.   I personally hate electronics.  But again if you can work through it and learn as you go, then there is no reason for not owning a smart car. There are answers to almost every isue somewhere on a web site somewhere, the issue is quickly finding the answer.  Patience is key. Join as many sites as you can find and do the research for your problem.....you will soon learn which site has the most information for your specific model and year and who has the best attitude to help.   Everything can be fixed....again good luck.