Murphy

2005 cdi pure. Keeps blowing fuse 8 on hard bumps

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey,  I have a 2005 Smart ForTwo Pure CDI.  When I hit a hard bump, car stalls out. Single bar and dash flashing.  Fuse number 8 blowing is what happens.  From what I can see it's the engine main relay circuit 87/3. Any help is appreciated. 

Screenshot_20210130-192903_Kijiji Autos.jpg

Edited by Murphy

You have a short in your wire harness some where. check the engine harness first for any frayed wires. Starting from the ECU to the cab.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Possibly check the main wire plug ins that go to the ECU from the SAM and see if they are fully clamped in or if any corrosion has started on any of the pins...?  I'd also open up the SAM and check it's condition before tearing car apart searching for a short, not that it isn't a very possible thing for there to be a rubbed through section somewhere.  The SAM is an easy first step imho.  Same with the connections at the ECU. BUT...DO NOT SHORT OUT ANY PINS IN THE PLUGS FOR THE ECU or you will be buying a new one and having to have it programed to be accepted by the other computers in the car using a STAR system.  Ask me how I know!  The ECU has capacitors which hold a charge and will fry itself. I used a plstic toothbrush sized brush and sensor cleaner when I shorted mine...it was just a flash in the sea of bubbles, done finished fried!  So take care...You may find 3 or 4 pins starting to go green near the far ends of the sockets at the ECU. The SAM is another story....bad solder joints, burnt plugs, pins connections, fried boards.....you won't know until you open it up. Do all this with battery disconnected of course.

Good luck, it may be just a simple solution, most are.

Nice pic by the way....also welcome to the site.  Where abouts are you in Ontario....?

Edited by Willys

Thanks for the input fellas.  And I'm in Napanee Ontario. 

2005 Smart ForTwo Pure CDI Daystar 2" lift, Custom blast pipe .