Willys

Anyone seen or used this product...?

12 posts in this topic

OK, I was just sent this link and went in to see for myself.....I normally do not open links but....the product seems interesting. 
It is a easy soldering system for joining wiring. No soldering gun just a heat source...?   
I have watched a few video clips of it working and being tested for strength....shows promise so to speak if it is what they claim.

My question is, will their way of melting and firmly adhering the solder to the wiring actually work?  What about the flux side of the sequence or did I miss that statement?  Hmmm...If the outer coating melts down first before the solder wouldn't it burn through either before or after the solder melts? Similar to other shrink tubing being over heated and burning through?  

The idea is a great one if it does work...IMHO.....anyone?   Or do we need a test dummy....lol    

https://solderseal.com/

Link is safe from what I have experienced.

I have also seen the ads and my concern is that if it only takes the heat of a lighter to make it work, would that same amount of heat undo it?  If so, not too useful in an area (like an engine compartment) where high temperatures are present.

My thought exactly, if low heat melt the solder what stops it from simply melting again and coming apart?   BUT, for areas where no heat is present, maybe this would do the trick?   OR, what happens if the wiring gets warm , do you end up with cold solder type joints after it gets close to melting but doesn't...?

Like i said the idea is great but what happens in real life...?

The idea that  you basically do 2 steps in one is very appealing.  

first time i actually used these was on my smart...previous owner was an idiot and cut the abs wires when removing the subframe instead of just reaching in and unplugging them 6 inches from where he cut them

they work great

the solder melts with just a heat gun and the clear plastic shrinks to make a good seal

i recommend sticking to brand name ones......china makes cheap ones that are still decent but the copies are much easier to melt thru the outer casing

never had one melt apart yet and wouldnt expect it to...

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

That is good news imho....far better than crimping etc then shrink tubing time wise. That is if they do hold together.  Hmmm...I may get a set and give them a try. Which name brand ones do you get...?

But then again if they are 5 times the price I will take the time..lol.

not sure..might be 3m

basically if you look at them and theres only 5 in the package and the price is ridiculously high like maybe 5$ for 5 theyre probably the real good ones

1 person likes this

hi 

to all 

i do use theses a lot and they are good as they seal as well but make sure you use a good make  as i seen a lot of cheap ones are sold on ebay and they not good at all as the just burst when you heat them up , a special heat gun needs to be used 

Edited by jpgm

20 minutes ago, jpgm said:

a special heat gun needs to be used 

ive never had trouble using a regular plain jane canadian tire heat gun

Princess Auto sells a package of 10 for $9.99 or something close to that....and they looked cheap.   Too much for a trial experiment imho...lol.   Not worth risking $10 on.....or a bad connection .    I expect any heat gun would melt them but if you used too hot a setting I can see the plastic burning through as the shrink tube versions do also.  My new heat gun will melt almost any material that could be melted on the high setting, you must watch what you are heating with it.  I'll stick with my usual well tested way of joining two wires...lol.

get cheapo ones to try..theyre maybe 10 cents a piece in bulk packs on amazon or aliexpress...dont bother with kits that have yellow ones ...youre more likely to use the whites and reds...maybe a few blues

save the expensive ones for important jobs

You still need hydrochloric acid to turn black oxidized cables strands back to shining bright copper or the solder won't wet.

On 25/02/2021 at 0:08 AM, Willys said:

Princess Auto sells a package of 10 for $9.99 or something close to that....and they looked cheap.   Too much for a trial experiment imho...lol.   Not worth risking $10 on.....or a bad connection .    I expect any heat gun would melt them but if you used too hot a setting I can see the plastic burning through as the shrink tube versions do also.  My new heat gun will melt almost any material that could be melted on the high setting, you must watch what you are heating with it.  I'll stick with my usual well tested way of joining two wires...lol.

hi Willys 

if you use the right one you just adjust to the right temp  , as the colour means different heat i will take a photo of the one i have and post