11 posts in this topic

Howdy. Anybody else having trouble with their electric heat booster kicking off in their SmartCar? I push lever all the way to the right, indicator light comes on, but as soon as I let go the lever pops out of position. Any help much appreciated. This forum is pretty cool.

mine used to do that when it wasnt very cold...luckily on the really cold days it would stay in the correct position

i kind of thought it was designed that way ...but just a guess

1 person likes this

That's what was happening. About -3 degrees Celsius this morning, and it kept kicking out. But during bitter cold a couple of weeks ago it was OK. Thanks for the info.

A few years ago, a friend had a similar problem.  We eventually found out that it was merely some carpeting on the floor that was interfering with the proper operation of the temperature-select slide.   We repositioned the carpet a bit and no more problems.  Maybe yours is the same?

1 person likes this

Hey Leadwing, that"s a good idea. I just bought the car and put rubber floor mats in in top of the carpet. They could be covering a heat vent. I'll check next time I go out. Thanx.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site, if it's not the floor mats or carpeting, check the wire and it's connection points....plus mine kicks off at a specific temp and allows the engine heater to do the work.  Not sure what that temp is.  Or how many heat blobs it must be at....

Thanks Willys. That seems to be the consensus, that it kicks out above some mystery temperature.  Thanks for helping.

With a good thermostat you probably don’t need the boost.  Down here we are starting to think about AC temps in the mid teens this week.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

With a good thermostat you probably don’t need the boost.  Down here we are starting to think about AC temps in the mid teens this week.

Nigel

I got the paint gun serviced today, maybe tomorrow...lol.     Doubt it but maybe the primer will get sprayed...?
Even the squirrels are starting to run the gauntlet from the dogs trying to fatten back up, not sure a few sunflower seeds will equal the workout running from the meat eaters!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 2:17 PM, TedTheBear said:

Hey Leadwing, that"s a good idea. I just bought the car and put rubber floor mats in in top of the carpet. They could be covering a heat vent. I'll check next time I go out. Thanx.

Just to clarify, the carpeting (or the rubber mats) could be interfering with the linkage or the cable that operates the temperature control, not allowing it to go the full distance or putting enough pressure on it to make it move back slightly which will shut off the booster.

this was happening to mine too and my mechanic stickman007 fixed it said it was a cable adjustment