mariocaz

Could I install RHD headlights in a LHD smart 451 car ?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,
I am Mario from Mexico city

I need to know what is the difference between left hand drive and right hand drive headlights?
Could I install RHD headlights in a LHD smart 451 car ?

Because I ordered by mistake a pair of Brabus exclusiv headlights but for Right Hand Drive instead of Left Hand Drive and I am in Mexico, here is LHD like USA, I saw images of the both headlights of the back part and only see little difference in the location of the connector(s), but also don't know if maybe I could need coding or something else that maybe couldn´t install them in my Smart 451.
Only the problem will be the direction of the light in the night ?

I am sad because they cost a lot of money and I couldn't cancel them in the MB shop because they are already confirmed for shipping.
What could be the big problem to install a RHD headlights in a LHD car ?, I don´t have them yet, but want to know if I could install them in my car.
In the images the one with the orange wall is the Brabus headlight for RHD.

Faro derecho atras.jpg

Faro derecho negro atras.jpg

The lights should work just fine but on dipped or low beam the headlight cutoff will be the opposite of LHD.

Th main/high beam will be the same.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 8.56.45 PM.png

1 person likes this

The headlight pattern is different from RHD and LHD.  In Mexico, you would need LHD lights because of the light pattern.  In North America, the headlights (on low beam) have a 'flat" cut-off that raises a bit on the right hand side to illuminate the shoulder.

As Mike has shown in his diagram, using RHD lights could blind on-coming traffic.

IF you have the clear lense from your original headlight then you could swap it out onto the new body as it's what has the defining light pattern cut into it....I think.....the body does separate from the lense but it isn't easy....!   Usually the lense is so brittle it crumbles as well as the clips for the body and adjustment  clips ......IF you installed them as they are the edge of the light beam will definately blind on coming traffic at night but not so much during the day unless you are using super strong bulbs or LED type bulbs....even then during the day it would be passable...?   

I think is is not the clear lens but the reflector and the angle bulb is fitted in reflector. 

Swapping dipped  beam reflectors is possible and not particularly difficult on a 450.  I assume also possible on a 451.  You could also check if you can turn dipped beam light bulb.  I recall on some older BMW models that was all that was required to change their headlights from left hand drive to right hand drive and vice versa.

Perhaps even special light bulbs are available that will do the conversion?  

Correct: the 451 has a projector beam and clear lens and so changing lenses will do jack squat.  It may just be possible to shift the bulb angle, or if not, paste some patterned black tape on the clear lens to stop the leftward up-kick to low beam light.

14 hours ago, tolsen said:

I think is is not the clear lens but the reflector and the angle bulb is fitted in reflector. 

Swapping dipped  beam reflectors is possible and not particularly difficult on a 450.  I assume also possible on a 451.  You could also check if you can turn dipped beam light bulb.  I recall on some older BMW models that was all that was required to change their headlights from left hand drive to right hand drive and vice versa.

Perhaps even special light bulbs are available that will do the conversion?  

Don't you have a left hand drive 450 which would suffer the same issues? How did you get away from this issue? OR did you just ignore it?   You would have swapped out right hand drive reflectors into your left hand drive headlights then correct..?   I would have thought the MOT would have caught this perhaps if not dealt with, from what i remember of them, they went over our cars with a fine toothed comb and a sharp screwdriver looking for any weak spots underneath.

Edited by Willys

My left hand drive 450 failed the uk mandatory vehicle test because I had black tape on the headlights. 

Mercedes dealer parts manager gave me a set of warranty replaced uk style headlights that normally would have gone for scrap. 

I rebuilt my existing headlights using the reflectors from those donated by Mercedes. 

Always nice having a friendly and understanding dealer. 

20 minutes ago, tolsen said:

My left hand drive 450 failed the uk mandatory vehicle test because I had black tape on the headlights. 

I expected this would have happened.