Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tkay

steering calibration, orange triangle

4 posts in this topic

I have a 2010 that got clipped by another car on the rhf wheel, the tie rod was then replaced and it drives well apart from after you start moving the orange triangle stays illuminated and for the first few seconds it seems to engage abs and lock the front wheels up a few times, after that it can be driven all day without locking the wheels but the large orange triangle is still illuminated.

i plugged in a scanner to try and recalibrate the steering sensor after reading online that it could be the issue, and when the wheel is set dead straight it reads minus -343 degrees so it wont calibrate. i then turned the wheels left and using live data i got the steering set to 0 degrees and it calibrated but as soon as i started driving the same issue came back.

does this mean my clockspring/angle sensor is a kaput? or could the steering column have slipped in the rack when the wheel was impacted?

im not sure what to do, a steering angle sensor is about $500 here and i dont want to buy one unless i have to

I think I would try to adjust the front wheels to the 0 degree setting by adjusting the tie rods.  Not sure if this will work but it is a cheap fix if it does just make sure you do equal turns on both sides and your alignment should not be effected.  You failed to mention if your steering wheel is cocked while you drive straight.

Someone else who knows what their talking about should really answer your question.

Alan

Assuming it was an insurance claim - it certainly should be - take it back to whomever changed the link and tell them their work is not done.

Check to see if one of your ball joints and or the shock mount at the top is damaged mine are from all of these fabulous well maintained roads of ours, I have a similar problem on mine when I turn left going down a sloped corner, Plan on replacing them.