TreasureIslander

A/C Not Cold

11 posts in this topic

My 2014 451 is not as cold as it was before 5 months in storage.  I checked the temp sensor wires and connection under the dash but they looked okay.

Also the passenger side vents are somewhat cold but the drivers side is warm.  Any things to check before I go to a refrigerant issue?

Welcome to the site, I'd check for a dead snake or mouse lodged in the heater duct...lol.   Maybe just a mouse nest?   Maybe the hose has just fallen off the heater core? Or the dash vent on drivers side..?  IF one side is cold then the A/C works it's just the delivery that is blocked, no..?

Again welcome.

Thanks Willys,  There was a snake.  6' long or so but it was in the cargo area and keeping to itself.  We are getting along well.  ;-) 

I will check the hose.  The side that works is not blowing ice cold as before, so I still suspect an issue with the A/C.  I'll check the exact vent temp.

There doesn't seem to be hoses.  The ducting is molded plastic.  The flow from both sides is strong.  Left side vent is 70 degrees F, Right is 64, outside air temp 79.

OK, my smart is a 2005 and it's vent is built into or out of the dash unit itself. It uses the body of the dash to route the air flow through. What shape or size is that side of the dash like compared to the right hand side like? Could there be anything inside the dash that could be interfering with the air flow? Again rodents? Can you pull the air vent top out of your dash like I can with mine????   I do not know how yours is made so just guessing?  What does the air flow route look like under the dash? Does it go directly into the underside of the dash? As in directly feeding it with air? If so does it favor the right over the left? Is there any differences between the two routes?  Did the left ever come out the same as the right?  If so then there has to be either a impedance or a loose connection or flap  not supplying one side over the other?  Like i said I do not know just suggesting options to look for.

Thanks Willys,  The flow is equal from both sides, it's just the difference in temp that makes me curious.

If the temp of both was colder, I would be okay.   Since I'm getting some cold A/C I suspect the system is working but low on refrigerant.  I just ordered an R134A refill and will try that

1 person likes this

Blowing cold air now!  The refill kit worked with little effort.  $47 from Amazon.   The low side was 10 PSI, now 45 PSI.  From what I added, I have enough for 3 more refills.  Hopefully I won't need it for a long time.   

InterDynamics AC Pro Car Air Conditioner R134A Refrigerant, AC Recharge Kit Includes Gas, Gauge and Hose, 15 Oz, Pack of 2

i used to stock up on that in michigan

they dont sell the 134a here ..we can only get substitute 12a

there was one called arctic freeze i think it was interdynamics 134a+ ...that one worked great always super cold

i had some neighbours who used to winter over in treasure island...sounded like they really liked the place 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I do see the Arctic Freeze.  One of at least 3 packaging offerings from InterDynamics.  Interesting.

Looks like the 12a is better in many ways than 134a which is due to be phased out and replaced with  HFO-1234yf.

Treasure Island is a great place as are the many Florida barrier islands.

With Summer upon us I am happy to have cold A/C again and the easy to cool small Smart space.  :-)

the arctic freeze seemed to get colder and it got colder faster ....i find the r12a seems to take longer to get cold 

been a long time though since i used it ...after 9/11 2001 they required passports to cross border shop so i never went back

I need far more than a passport to cross over  now ....so definately won't be going back...lol.

1 person likes this