Sydney

front spring replacement

10 posts in this topic

just an FYI,  and i am sure everyone already knows about this.  

i watched a few videos on people having a hard time removing the top nut to remove the strut to replace the front springs,   because of the angle it seems really hard to get an impact gun on it.

i just noticed that if you remove the plastic trim panel at the bottom of the windshield,  there are access holes that will give almost a straight line access with an extension to the nuts.

Replaced broken spring. (yes I should have done both) but supper easy to change. Ordered new strut mounts yesterday from GermanParts.ca, they just arrived. Going to change them tomorrow.

IMG_20210427_202612.jpg

1 person likes this

replaced the strut mount bushings, took it for a little spin around the neighbor and i still notice a bit of a clunk in the front end,  i had my son rock the car side to side and bingo.  sway bar bushings are shot.   make another call to GermanParts.ca tomorrow and hopefully have them by friday.  

1 person likes this

I have done the very same thing, changed every wearable item on my good car ready for trouble free driving........fingers crossed.....it's the only way....lol

good time to take hubs off and add a bit of grease into the bearings 

edited to add i know its too late but in a pinch i remember some of those upper strut parts were shared with some jetta and golf models if a volkswagen dealer is close by

Edited by LooseLugNuts

On 2021-04-15 at 8:50 AM, Sydney said:

just an FYI,  and i am sure everyone already knows about this.  

i watched a few videos on people having a hard time removing the top nut to remove the strut to replace the front springs,   because of the angle it seems really hard to get an impact gun on it.

i just noticed that if you remove the plastic trim panel at the bottom of the windshield,  there are access holes that will give almost a straight line access with an extension to the nuts.

I have all cap screws out I can see but the panel won't come out of fender. Are there other screws under? I'm trying to replace the driver side broken spring

Edited by Edwin52
correction

20 minutes ago, Edwin52 said:

I have all cap screws out I can see but the panel won't come out of fender. Are there other screws under? I'm trying to replace the driver side broken spring

Take a picture of what you are struggling with so we can better help maybe?  I didn't need to remove the inner fender to get trut out to change spring on my 450. Unsure if it's the same that is why I asked for picture..thanks.

Just the plastic trim below windshield to gain access to the hole by wiper arm. That will give me much more access to the strut nut. I have tried to use my impact and universal joint but it is 90 degrees and wont move

Yahoo.... I got the nut off...

Thank you

Edited by Edwin52
correction

Oh ok, I thought you were after the inner fender for some strange reason...lol. On your model does it have the same fins below the windshield to get at the windshield filler neck which you undo with either key or screwdriver? OR are yours solidly mounted? I do not know sorry. I expect someone who owns your model will chime in soon to give far better advice.  How rusty is the top nut on your strut? If it is soak it well before hitting it with impact. 

Ok. I got all the bolts removed from strut.Now how do I get the strut out? Must I compress the spring or do I have to remove the hub as well? Or disconnect from lower control arm?