Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jocko

Power Steering intermittent

14 posts in this topic

2016 Smart ED with 97K and daily driver.

I noticed my steering getting harder and harder over the last month. I thought maybe it was the cold. Now that it warmed up it's still hard. Here is the kicker. I drove it in the rain and the power steering came back. A week later and the steering is back to being hard. Any ideas? Electric power steering? Lack of fluid? Is there a pump? Any one know how this thing works?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen those but I doubt it the U-joint because the car isn't that old and a daily drver. It just rained the last few days and now the power steering works so I'm guessing its a poor ground on the steering pump or in the electric steering. I changed out both tie-rods last fall because they were loose. I'm goiing to put some new front brakes this weekend and get in there to inspect. I'll try to post photos of what I find.

Cheers

2 people like this

OK so I got under the car and removed the front of the splash guard. I can't get the car high enough off the ground without a lift to see the steering but everything looks OK. I spoke to another mechanic who works a lot on Smart cars and he tells me its the U-joint too. I also read a bit more and it seems water can get into the U-Joint make it easier temporarily. So it is looking like the U-Joints.

So I got under the dash and greased the internal U-joint but no luck. The steering is a bit better but it looks like the lower U-joint near the steering box.

My question is how do you get at it?

I see nothing from below. From above I see only the 2 tanks for the Washer fluid and the coolant overflow.

Do I bother taking the front off the car? I'm afraid that I take it all off and still can't get to that U-Joint.

Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

This is a 2016 451 Smart Electric Drive. It should be the same as the gas car of the same era but I only see stuff for the 450 and the steering is different.

Cheers

1 person likes this

Get a flashlight or a light and see if the wires and ground are ok at power steering motor on the rack.

1 person likes this

I agree with WILD, the U-JOINT will feel the same at every revolution not after a few turns......it doesn't care which rotation it's on it'll act the same every time..imho.
IF the steering is constantly tight or has un uneven feel as you turn it in lets say 2 rotations maybe the U-JOINT ....but not after a few rotations then starts acting up...not happening.
I'll stick with an electronic issue, again check ground for power steering motor.....these cars are notorious for bad grounds.

I don't think removing the front clip will give you much more room to see stuff, but inner fenders maybe a better choice. Also front wheels.....
I'd buy a good jack and some jack stands or some good solid blocks to put unde car when lifting so you do not become a statistic....!
Good luck.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

those steering shaft u-joints can do odd things....(as most f150 owners will attest)

if you suspect it undo one end and test it with your hands ....youll know pretty quick if its the problem 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Thanks for the replies guys

I should mention that the steering is sort of easy and then hard then easy when I turn now. So I am kinda leaning more towards the U-Joint. That being said I did get the car in the air on jack stands as high as I could and you don't see squat from underneath. It really takes a hoist. I'm going to try from the drivers side wheel well and see if I can't get at it. I have the feeling its both the ground and the U-Joint. I'll let you know how I make out.

Cheers

IF the stiff feeling is at the same location on every rotation then it is the U-JOINT for sure, no question.   I took it as it wasn't at the same place every rotation which would tell me it isn't the U-JOINT. 

the needle bearings can pile up and jam in any position

ive changed many steering shafts on f150 and various other cars (usually fords) due to bad steering shaft u joints..they can be just fine for weeks then suddenly stiffen up on a curve in the road

best way to be sure is have it in your hand...or if its acting up jack it up and spray some penetrant...penetrating fluid will likely make a bad one usable again for a short time 

How to grease the Lower U-Joint and check the ground.

OK here we go!

So indeed there is a way to get to the U-Joint and the steering box from the wheel well to grease the U-Joint and check the ground and here is how.

First is to get the left side of the car in the air with a floor jack so as not to become a statistic as was correctly previously mentioned because you will be getting under the car with the wheel off.

I removed the front left (drivers side ) wheel. I also undid the 2 plastic clips to remove the plastic liner thinking it would give me more room but this step is unnecessary. When I put it back I realized it didn't help so don't bother.

Between the tie rod bar you can clearly see the clip to the ground and the U-Joint. I only had a big can of WD-40 or I would have started with that. You can squeeze a regular can inside the hole there and once on the other side you can reach in, grab the can and hose the U-Joint. I'm not going to lie, it's tight in there but I did manage to douse it in grease.

I also grabbed the ground wire and pulled it off to put it back on just in case but the connection looked fine. I think the resistance in the U-Joint was just too high.

I ended up using Fluid Film grease. It's a wax type and will penetrate and wick. I'm not sure what the best choice would be. Penetrating oils will evaporate and make it looser and grease won't penetrate. Food for thought for another thread.

After working the steering from end to end about 20 times it became loose and was practically normal. I imagine the grease will take some time to work itself in. It ended up not being that hard so I may do it again.

After hearing about others having similar issues I wonder if it isn't worth doing every fall for maintenance.

So to summarize.

It was the U-Joints. I greased the inner one under the dash to be sure but with no effect. I greased the lower U-joint and it resolved the issue for the moment. 

Let's see how long it lasts.

Thanks for all the input. It was greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

ujoint.png

1 person likes this

Motorcycle chain lube spray gives good results.Then heat from a hair dryer helps it to penetrate.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For creeping penetration oiling or rust protection I use red rust check, It creeps far better than any other oil imho.....and stays around long enough to do the job for months.   I also like the bike chain lube and when added to rust check you get the best of both worlds....a good bike chain lube will stay on for ages but unless heated by friction like on a bike chain spinning at warp 9 it won't heat up enough to run deep into the joint imho. but sprayed together probably the best. Again to each their own as to what oil product is best....lol.     you can start a war in seconds asking which oil is the best to use on anything...lol. etc etc...lol.     Ducking down now.....in one two......swing...!

I will add, Glenn's secret sauce for undercoating is a good choice as it gets everywhere and stick to anything....lol   But it's a secret......shhhh......lol

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

Follow up.

Drove all winter and no issues. The steering is perfect and loose. I will give the car a good power wash this spring and may try another lube but I won't mention which in case it sets someone off. LOL