Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

3D printed parts!

14 posts in this topic

My wife authorized the purchase of a new 3D printer! I've been playing with it none stop...

Made a few things for the 450:

1) Scangauge2 Bracket above the mirror.

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

2) New EGR Emulator Design - still testing phase (unless you want to be a tester...pm me)

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

3) Rear Window Extension - though I found that it doesn't fit our 450 (file from thingiverse). Might be for the older UK styles? Will need to redesign. Please provide ideas!

IMG_2176.jpg

6 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

How about a mirror stiffener to help stop it from vibrating so the image is perfect....?   Something that clips onto end of mirror ball or near to and then forward to push against the windshield...?

Just a suggestion.....lol   Please....

OR   can you make a shorter mirror stalk.....or will it not be good to see through when shorter???   Lifting the mirror upwards and not allowing good visability through rear window?

Edited by Willys

@Willys I forgot I was suppose to send you one! Do you want a custom designed one? or the one of thingiverse? Sketch me of something you want for the mirror stiffener, though I don't think it'll help much since the car itself vibrates a lot.

4 hours ago, Willys said:

can you make a shorter mirror stalk.....

I have a shorter one.  It works well in the Cabrio when the roof is down.  It's a little too high when the roof is up, but that is what the original stalk is for :)  It's an easy swap from one to the other.

12 hours ago, stickman007 said:

@Willys I forgot I was suppose to send you one! Do you want a custom designed one? or the one of thingiverse? Sketch me of something you want for the mirror stiffener, though I don't think it'll help much since the car itself vibrates a lot.

Yes the car vibrates when at lower rev's and that is where I drive it most of the time to keep my MPGs so good.  You said you were thinking of making one that somehow pushes against the glass and then attaches to the lower part of the stock stalk just above where the ball is to help stop the vibration . I'm sure it would work if it has a sticky attachment point against the glass and somehow clamps/clips onto the stock stalk...?  IF it simply rests against the glass it will still bounce off the glass when the body vibrates. It needs to be double sided taped or my favorite siliconed to the glass to stop that bouncing.

I saw somewhere that someone was making the shorter stalks but never bought one thinking the view out the back may be reduced or headlights at night being more direct, I don't remember but didn't pull the trigger...Hmmm..?

I'll have to search out the thingiverse and see if that works or not....back in a few..........
I like this idea......

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3208037

I guess I could start a thread with 3D printing service! Hahahaha....

I will start a thread on the "self-promotion" section when I'm ready to print stuff for you guys. This thread was just an outlet cause I was so excited playing with my new toy! I started playing with 3D printing about 5 years ago when the school I worked at bought one - Makerbot Replicator 2, $2600. I then bought my own printer, an used Wanhao D7 resin printer....very finicky to use and expensive. This is technically my 1st own FDM printer which is an Ender 3 v2. It can print PLA, ABS, and PEGT. The easiest printing material is PLA, but it warps at low temp when use in car application. ABS is stronger and much better at handling higher temp, but its much harder to print. PEGT is the middle ground. So far, my new PETG emulators are holding up great to engine temp when tie to the air box on top of the ECU. When I initially tested with PLA, it warped slightly. The Mirror SG bracket also won't warp hopefully when the car is in the sun all day when using PEGT - will still have to be proven on a hot day, so far our warmest day is only 22C.

I did fix the rear window extension, will post pics later on my own design. A lot beefier and it doesn't rattle (I grind off a bit of the thingiverse design so that it'll fit, but once its in, its loose and doesn't fit tight).

Izzy.

2 people like this

Hey! 3D printed parts are amazingly useful, and shockingly robust!

I've designed some replacements for my broken drivers side wiper bushing/retainer piece. See below:

I'm still working on it to make sure it's properly robust, so I won't release the files yet, but I think it's working surprisingly well for a part made from PETG. Mind you, I went a bit overkill in strengthening it compared to the original part. As a note, yes, the plastic threads are completely printable and shockingly robust. My wiper gaskets were shot as well, so I printed new ones in TPU. All working shockingly well. I'll be reprinting everything in CF-Nylon later to make it actually somewhat more trustworthy for extended use.

I got the car from Ottawa a few weeks ago with 115,000kms in a pretty bad electrical state, so I'm just slowly repairing it bit by bit. It was sitting for almost 6 years before I picked it up. I'll be designing a new cabin light assembly for it soon as the original one is completely destroyed. The lens is good though, so I'll be making it using the original lens. I'm also going to make a 3D printed fascia for the aftermarket stereo I'm installing soon. My main priority is that it's not charging and it overheats in a few minutes, so probably the serpentine belt is shot. Lots of stuff to do, but always wanted one of these cars, so should be fun. I'll try to keep my parts posted in this thread as well, including the original design files. I design in SolidWorks by the way, so sorry if any of you were hoping for FreeCAD or Fusion360 files.

Let me know if there's anything you guys are hoping for in plastic parts by the way. I know there's a modular bolt-on tray section below the stereo, so I'll be looking into that as well soon to add more modern things to the car. I'm an electronics engineering technologist that dabbles a lot in mechanical engineering as well, so I can probably even do more intelligent modifications, like auto-dimming high beam lights for incoming traffic and potentially rain sensors for automatic windshield wipers. Maybe even going so far as digital climate controls. Not sure how far I'll go with modding this car, but throw me your suggestions and maybe I'll implement it and share the designs.

1 person likes this

I 3D printed a restrictor for my water system to limit water flow five years ago and it is still in there functioning exactly as it should. :)

They are truly handy things to have. Not at the top of the list, lathe and mill are up there but I reckon it comes in third if you are not counting hand tools.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Gadorach said:

Hey! 3D printed parts are amazingly useful, and shockingly robust!

I've designed some replacements for my broken drivers side wiper bushing/retainer piece. See below:

I'm still working on it to make sure it's properly robust, so I won't release the files yet, but I think it's working surprisingly well for a part made from PETG. Mind you, I went a bit overkill in strengthening it compared to the original part. As a note, yes, the plastic threads are completely printable and shockingly robust. My wiper gaskets were shot as well, so I printed new ones in TPU. All working shockingly well. I'll be reprinting everything in CF-Nylon later to make it actually somewhat more trustworthy for extended use.

I got the car from Ottawa a few weeks ago with 115,000kms in a pretty bad electrical state, so I'm just slowly repairing it bit by bit. It was sitting for almost 6 years before I picked it up. I'll be designing a new cabin light assembly for it soon as the original one is completely destroyed. The lens is good though, so I'll be making it using the original lens. I'm also going to make a 3D printed fascia for the aftermarket stereo I'm installing soon. My main priority is that it's not charging and it overheats in a few minutes, so probably the serpentine belt is shot. Lots of stuff to do, but always wanted one of these cars, so should be fun. I'll try to keep my parts posted in this thread as well, including the original design files. I design in SolidWorks by the way, so sorry if any of you were hoping for FreeCAD or Fusion360 files.

Let me know if there's anything you guys are hoping for in plastic parts by the way. I know there's a modular bolt-on tray section below the stereo, so I'll be looking into that as well soon to add more modern things to the car. I'm an electronics engineering technologist that dabbles a lot in mechanical engineering as well, so I can probably even do more intelligent modifications, like auto-dimming high beam lights for incoming traffic and potentially rain sensors for automatic windshield wipers. Maybe even going so far as digital climate controls. Not sure how far I'll go with modding this car, but throw me your suggestions and maybe I'll implement it and share the designs.

Just a suggestion....design a grease fitting into your new wiper arm to prevent the same thing happening again.  I shimmed my stock rusted  unit before I had my lathe and it's working great, but a freshly printed unit with a grease fitting would be ideal!  IF you wanted to make a few sets and sell them at a reasonable price I'll bet they go quickly!  Yes I know that word reasonable is a bad word ...lol

Excellent work by the way!

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 7:21 PM, Willys said:

... can you make a shorter mirror stalk.....

I have the standard one on my coupe, but looking through the original mirror when the top is down on the Cabriio was useless.  I have a shorter one on  my Cab. which makes the view out the back much better.  However, when the top is up, the short one is a P.I.T.A.   I can take detailed photos if you need them,

45 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

I have the standard one on my coupe, but looking through the original mirror when the top is down on the Cabriio was useless.  I have a shorter one on  my Cab. which makes the view out the back much better.  However, when the top is up, the short one is a P.I.T.A.   I can take detailed photos if you need them,

No good for me after adding the clever-end onto my good car( whenever it gets back on the road...lol)  as it has a smaller rear window similar to the Cabrilo  Smarts do.
BUT those windshield pivots are great especially if you could get a grease nipple into them to keep the shaft lubed so it'll never rust and sieze up.  

@Willys Did you end up getting one of those shorten mirror holders? I'm heading out to ON this fall, I can bring your core injectors back and print you a few mirror holders with me. Need to thank you in person!