Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Finally bought a 451

12 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to buy a 451 for awhile now. Finally pulled the trigger. Say hello to the newest addition to our family!

IMG_2217.jpg

2013 Passion. Has 58k on it. Just picked it up today!

Izzy

4 people like this

I think this is going to be my project car...was thinking of swapping a hayabusa engine in the C1, but I think I would end up wrecking something that's unique. The 3b21 engine seems to play nice with a turbo charger from what I've been reading, the Brabus on the side of the pond has a factory turbo on them. I think eventually I'll get the SFR stage 2 kit or something...have to wait awhile to save up!

I was surprised at how much more refine it drove compared to my 450. It lacks the torque and manual shifting is a bit jerky (maybe a clutch teach in and calibration is required?). Its faster off the line, but lacks oomph when you step on it once its moving - opposite to my 450 with a tune. A lot more quieter in the cab when going down the highway. Seems to have way more parts and support available for the 451.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tuned in California.  Removed speed limiter and there is a slight performance improvement off the line and above 4000 rpm.

Edited by Huronlad

How much heavier is the 451 compared to the 450???   Before the Smart I had the last of the Toyota Echo's 5 speed and it was a rocket for it's size so to speak.....the next year the Yaris showed up, heavier,slower but more refined also.....so is this the same fate for the Smart?   Adding creature comforts at the expense of performance for such a small package with limited cc's...?

No idea about the weight differences on the 451 vs 450. All I can say that I like how it feels as a daily driver. My 450 is not bad, but the 451 is way more comfortable...feels like a real car?

There's too many factors to compare between the Echo and Yaris - suspension setup, gearing ratios, and just simple chassis makes a huge difference in terms of handling and feel. I had a corolla for many years, dull as potatoes...I hated that car. It suck the joy of driving out every time you go anywhere with it.

So, did my oil service (found a Motormaster oil filter...can't be good), air filter and all around checks. Will do spark plugs next week when I get some spare time again. Hooked up to STAR and OMG, how many modules does a car need?! I don't know what some of them even do...Weight Sensing System? My VW and Audi have less modules than this. Performed a clutch teach in and general check ups - no codes anywhere. Will be attempting to code another key once my Chinese FOBs shows up in the mail. I'm a bit worried as STAR indicated that my key is a "Spare"? Will need to try...will post updates.

The 451 is about 200 lbs heavier.  Faster in the 1/4 mile than a remapped cdi.

Nice car, finally found the topic! LOL

David who used to own your C1, he's hoping MB Langley will do a proper job on the clutch relearn this week when he takes it in. It has a new actuator.... but we're short a Star System and he's running out of tolerance for actuator gimpiness....

Sadly, my "new" 451 is sold. A co-worker of mine bought it over the weekend. He will be joining CsC shortly.

1 person likes this

With the 451 and my Audi S4 Avant sold...I finally have enough money for a real Mercedes following in @MikeT's footsteps! Bought a 2013 GLK250 Bluetec....my wife's dream car.

*not even a week old, already has a CEL for the SCR...and stuck thermostat! Hahahaha....I'm definitely a sucker for punishment. Thank heavens for a STAR system.

Izzy

2 people like this

Congrats! I think ;)

Well, as coincidence would have it, our 2008 B 200 threw its second ever CEL today in the cooler temperatures, at 320,400 km.

A SGII decoding revealed a sticking purge valve. Same as the first ever CEL. I have a new one that I got the first time it happened but haven't needed to install it until now. I suspect it's a bit of moisture in the charcoal canister freezing in the valve. It doesn't affect drivability so on we go....