brd

Messerschmitt's three-wheeler bubble car is back

6 posts in this topic

The two seater three wheel Messerschmitt bubble car is back in production in Spain.

There is a KR 202 "Sport" with a huge 7.3HP 125ccm engine and an electric KR-E5000.

Its an open cockpit car but a removable hardtop that makes it weatherproof is an available option for only 2500euros.

Top speed is 90kmh depending upon weight & road conditions.

Its empty weight is 220kg. 

With the 6 litre tank topped up its maximum range is 160km, which is better than the spec urban consumption rate of the 450cdi. 

The special introductory base price is 10,950 excluding VAT.

Chances of it being available in Canada? Probably next to zero is optimistic.

http://messerschmitt-werke.de/lang_en/

They also make replacement body parts for the original Messerschmitt bubble car.

MESSERSCHMITT-Kabinenroller connects pilots with driving, brings them the feeling of flying!

A.jpg

B.jpg

the-original-logo.jpg

This is what started my thoughts to make a single seater version of this using a honda cx500 engine and have no body work. There was no section in the highway traffic code to allow a two front wheeled trike so they called it no matter what you said it was, so they refused to allow it registration, so it never got built.  think the same thing powered by a cx500 engine which was already hopped up.

As you say, it'll be a freak accident if they allowed it as a new vehicle. BUT, I know someone who has 2 of the old ones and they are on the road.  Worth a small fortune I'm told.

I have something called a JZR with a Honda CX650 engine.  It looks like an early Morgan Super Sports.

car photos 039 (2).jpg

053 (2).jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, 1983JZR3W said:

I have something called a JZR with a Honda CX650 engine.  It looks like an early Morgan Super Sports.

car photos 039 (2).jpg

053 (2).jpg

That's the thing I was going to build but without the body.....love it!  I only wanted a single seater also so would straddle the frame so to speak.  Excellent by the way.

Did you rebuild the engine and if so how hard did you find getting internal engine parts was....I bought the last pistons and rings at the time and a few other last ones  when I did mine. I had to wait months before someone bought out some old honda dealership and went through their  stock and put parts up for sale. I still have the engine waiting for a new home, everything new inside, run for maybe 100 miles or so....I went from this machine back to a 50's styled bobber sportster look, then dismantled bike as it ruined my back...lol.  I started to install the motor onto a garden tractor to clear snow, big blower up front and a case 128 rear-end all powered by the CX500....another project that I lost interest in....seems someone started looking at Smart car if I remember correctly.....lol.

July 2015 008.JPG

Edited by Willys

I had a fellow racer friend from Quebec who built one almost identical to the one in the photos above.  He drove that thing everywhere and had no issues getting it registered.  If I recall correctly, he also used the Honda CX650 engine.

Magic word probably was Quebec...no go in Ontario from scratch, yes if already built and registered but not if you made it....the era of kit cars.