Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

aftermarket intake tube

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

i have a 2008 451, i have seen and have been watching youtube videos about replacing the hard odd shaped plastic intake baffle with a silicone intake tube that connects the throttle body directly to the air cleaner housing.

has anyone on the group done this?   any benefit besides gaining some room in the engine bay.

thanks.  

Edited by Sydney

54 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

I went the Barney O route of deleting the resonator box in my 451 and installing a budget hose.  Changing air filters is very easy now.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/low-budget-intake.26781/

are there any negative issues in doing this?   im not sure what the resonator box is for,   but it must be there for a reason? 

No negatives.  The resonator box limits some of the intake noise.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, stickman007 said:

I just ordered an intake hose from Aliexpress for my 451. Will see how it goes!

keep me posted,  i bought my 451 to fix and then flip,  but now i love it.  so i think it will stay in my collection for now.   lol.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Sydney said:

keep me posted,  i bought my 451 to fix and then flip,  but now i love it.  so i think it will stay in my collection for now.   lol.

LOL.....hope you have many acres of land as they are multiplying fast it seems...lol

I agree, why rebuild them just to make a few hundred bucks....better to keep them and enjoy them all.

So mine came in last week. Haven’t had time to install until today. Here’s the result:

The resonator box had to be cut in order to remove (the other option was to lower the engine). Evilution mentioned that it can be orientated  to come out if the engine cover edges were bent slightly - I choose to cut.

Another slight issue was that the PCV hose had a slightly larger inner diameter than the metal fitting that came with the hose. I was able to tighten the hose clamp to fit, but I would rather use a different fitting.

Will load some pics later, phone won’t let me reduce the sizes.

2 people like this

Went for a drive. There was definitely more noise, a bit of a grunt or a growl when loaded - a good sound in my opinion.

Now it could be because it was 31C and I had my A/C on max, but it felt less torquey than usual. Will need to do more runs before I can say for sure. Maybe the small hose for the PCV is causing issues? I know that PCV restrictions can rob power, but I’m not sure if this was the case here.

IMG_2485.jpg

1 person likes this

But....but....it's RED...! It has to be better and faster ...just because...lol.

When we are talking about a vehicle with almost enough HP to get out of it's own way, you must stack many many small options THAT do work in a positive way to help increase the power output and  this also means in very small ways....not bolting on spray lol.  It costs thousands of $$$$ to get HP from a low CC'd engine that is being asked to push a heavy object so to speak.  Compared to a larger poorly designed CC's engine doing the same thing.  Our engines aren't that bad for what they were designed to do...imho. 

You are simply keeping the red hose company in business for another week when buying these products....imho.   Is there anything wrong with this...NO not at all. I have bought my fair share of red hose type things in my lifetime thinking they looked cool etc.   If it makes you happy have at it.  Far better than drinking the money away like some do.!  Or worse....?

I'll bet the flow management characteristics between the two hoses, stock and the smooth red one aren't that far off each other when trying to gain significant HP ratings.   But it looks good so it's a win.....no different than the wife painting her finger nails...lol.

I'd still be interested in results and if it can be combined with other mods to make the car better.

Then it also comes down to what is it that you consider better.......because better is different between different people.  Some strive for speed, others like the fuel consumption ratings.....so one thing may not work for both applications, but then again it could...?

What’s with the rant?

Didn’t buy it for performance gains. Just thought I’ll report my experiences as others might be curious. I did it for the sound and ease of changing the air filter.

Edited by stickman007

15 hours ago, stickman007 said:

Went for a drive. There was definitely more noise, a bit of a grunt or a growl when loaded - a good sound in my opinion.

Now it could be because it was 31C and I had my A/C on max, but it felt less torquey than usual. Will need to do more runs before I can say for sure. Maybe the small hose for the PCV is causing issues? I know that PCV restrictions can rob power, but I’m not sure if this was the case here.

IMG_2485.jpg

i wonder how much pressure (suction) is on the pcv tube?   would it be worth while looking at a collar that would connect both tubes on the outside?   instead of a coupler on the inside?

i think it would great increase the airflow.  

also i like the loads of room now,  without the airbox in the way.

Edited by Sydney

4 hours ago, stickman007 said:

I did it for the sound and ease of changing the air filter.

When I saw the mod the first thing I thought was it would make it much much easier to change the air filter.

I don't think Willys is very familiar with the 451 :D

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, stickman007 said:

What’s with the rant?

Didn’t buy it for performance gains. Just thought I’ll report my experiences as others might be curious. I did it for the sound and ease of changing the air filter.

No rant at all...just curious what the intent was for...?  

I was also curious IF you had found some hidden HP that I could find...lol.  OR steal....lol
No offense at all was intended...

Edited by Willys

Several months ago, a member over at SCoA did some dyno pulls comparing stock filter and stock airbox to the silicone tube and different air filters.  His best dyno pulls showed a gain of almost 5 horsepower over stock with the K&N air filter and the silicone tube.  He tried different filters with the stock air box and the silicone tube and got some improvements, but the K&N with the silicone tube gave the largest gain.  I know five horsepower is not much, but on our little engines, it does help.  I forget to mention, the tested car was a 2009 451.

Edited by 1983JZR3W
2 people like this

@Willys not offended…just friendly banter :)

The hose was $40 plus a few bucks with SS clamps. This made changing the air filter super easy compared to the stock resonator in place. The oem coupler had to be removed and reinstalled - hard to tell if it was pinched/damaged. Any “performance” gain with this hose is purely a bonus. This Chinese clone of the Forge tube appears to be slightly smaller in diameter and longer in length - the Forge seems to be rounder (if that makes sense?).

The plan is still to do the Stage 2 turbo kit with headers next year.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, 1983JZR3W said:

Several months ago, a member over at SCoA did some dyno pulls comparing stock filter and stock airbox to the silicone tube and different air filters.  His best dyno pulls showed a gain of almost 5 horsepower over stock with the K&N air filter and the silicone tube.  He tried different filters with the stock air box and the silicone tube and got some improvements, but the K&N with the silicone tube gave the largest gain.  I know five horsepower is not much, but on our little engines, it does help.  I forget to mention, the tested car was a 2009 451.

as you say 5 HP in our numbers is a significant increase for a single simple mod.....nothing to sneeze at , at all...!!!!   Impressive...!

1 person likes this

Just put on this silicone intake: 

I’m curious what everyone’s fuel economy has been with the intake? I’ve seen a bit of an increase in economy but I haven’t run through enough tanks yet to know if it’s just a fluke or if it’s really better. Wondering if I should make a note of it in the video description or in the comments.

1 person likes this

This is on my list of mods - thanks for the video! :)

1 person likes this